Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jiang Hu (Andy Lau and Jacky Cheung)

Default Jiang Hu (Andy Lau and Jacky Cheung)

Just saw it. Pretty slow-paced, might not be everybody's cup of tea. But the plot was good, especially when the main twist was revealed in the end.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Woah...u watch it already.

I thought it is coming out on 1st May???

I dunno, maybe it's a special preview?
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Does the film live up to its hype? I mean, its a pretty good cast with jacky cheung... i just find it a tad weird that jacky is the follower of andy coz jacky looks andy's senior...
    yes my old username was lidana7, but i miffed that up today.

TVSeriesFans!

F.I.R. sounds cool to DA ears!

In real life, they are the same age.

Did it live up to its hype? Yes and No.

It's pretty slow-paced and arty, unlike commercial fare like those Infernal Affairs movies. And yes, they all gave strong performances, even Shawn and Edison.

But this movie's plot twist in the end was pretty amazing, you'll end up realizing that this wasn't the type of movie you had expected.
    Swifty, Writing

Sounds cool, even China banned the film coz of edison's performance- apparently too violent or gruesome... i think...

i hope it is kinda different to infernal affairs actually... i mean... the first fillm was good, then the second was a bit of a brick, third was better, but the plot was everywhere!

Hope that shawn's and edison's performances are as good as you said, coz normally their roles are never challenging as to showing their skills as actors and are really sometimes... SO pathetic!

TVSeriesFans!

Originally posted by lidanaa
    Sounds cool, even China banned the film coz of edison's performance- apparently too violent or gruesome... i think...

i hope it is kinda different to infernal affairs actually... i mean... the first fillm was good, then the second was a bit of a brick, third was better, but the plot was everywhere!

Hope that shawn's and edison's performances are as good as you said, coz normally their roles are never challenging as to showing their skills as actors and are really sometimes... SO pathetic!
    Hmm... actually, Edison's performance was banned because his character was asked to have sex with a... um... non-human.

I won't go into details. But in Malaysia, the heavily-butchered version showed that NOTHING happened, and Shawn came into the rescue. But it is possible that in the original, SOMETHING did happen.

Shawn's performance was equal to his IA2 one, but Edison's was obviously better (compared to his stiff IA2 role).
    Swifty, Writing

Originally posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Hmm... actually, Edison's performance was banned because his character was asked to have sex with a... um... non-human.

I won't go into details. But in Malaysia, the heavily-butchered version showed that NOTHING happened, and Shawn came into the rescue. But it is possible that in the original, SOMETHING did happen.

Shawn's performance was equal to his IA2 one, but Edison's was obviously better (compared to his stiff IA2 role).
    lol imagine the stick edison got when he was acting the supposed scene when they were filming! if it's as bad as you say it is!

TVSeriesFans!

Watched it this afternoon... but I must say I was disappointed with the movie.
    First of all, I've been a fan of Jacky for years n have been looking forward to his new movie,... actually was looking forward to his acting those villian roles he used to do in Ming Yue Zhao Jian Dong or The Prince... but... sigh was not in this character at all.. never mind..
    *Spoiler Alert*
    Anyway,, the thing that is disturbing abt this movie is that.. the plot is too loose and predictable... I mean the plot is absolutely weak! It has the support of another set of fabulous cast ( the other being I.A) but yet the delivery of the story is weak weak weak... I went into the cinema without any idea what this movie is abt...and yet before the movie reaches half its screen time, one could have guessed that Shawn Yu and Edison Chan are playing the roles of Andy and Jacky themselves!Honestly it really doesn't take much! If this is the director's idea of twist then all I can say is that it's a weak twist. Doesn't come close to the class of I.A 1.... at least thou the script of I.A 1 is a little weak it has a good plot a good storyline.. but in this.. no.
    And cos of the weak plot, there isn't much room for the actors to show much acting skills and that's not because they're bad actors.. I think they're fabulous actors.. well at least most of them are except for a few.... don't see much from Shawn Yu. I guess the director was too preoccupied with the arty part of the movie that he has lost touch with his real objectivity.... Content.
    Last edited by Zech; 05-03-04 at 01:25 AM.

A spoiler warning would be nice.

But yeah, it's not everybody's cup of tea.
    Last edited by Eliar Swiftfire; 05-02-04 at 01:16 PM.
    Swifty, Writing

I saw this movie posted on one of my favorite BT site... but never download it.

But thx for the spoiler then when I watch this movie with friends I look cooler because now I can predict what will happen
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

haha but i still would watch it though.... JACKY JACKY JACKY always liked his acting

ditto Zech.

I thought the movie was a disappointment too. Considering it boasted of such a strong cast of actors.

The storytelling was weak, the editing a little shoddy (but that could be due to the fact that over here, the censors already had a go at it). It seemed the director was more intent on cinematic style than anything else.

Best line of the movie belongs to Andy Lau though (is that any surprise?) The bit when they were having their dinner and he was repremanding Jacky. Can't exactly remember how it went now. Something like, 'I tell you, you don't listen. When you listen, you don't understand. When you understand, you don't do.' Loved how he just rattled it off like that.
    "The who having wha with huh?"

very dissapointed!!!! please no more movie on triad groups!!!!

Guess I'm the only one who liked the movie then.

First thing is...

This is more like a character-driven film. A story about TWO guys. No intricate plot ala Infernal Affairs, no philosophical/religious undertones ala Mr Fit, nope, just the story of some sort of conflict between two longtime friends, their disagreement with each other's way of doing things, and what made them what they are today etc etc.

Shawn Yu and Edison didn't put up the Tony Leung-caliber performances, but heck, what were you expecting? Those guys are still raw, yet I think Edison's been improving. As for Shawn plays a brooding, quiet character, of course there's nothing much you should feel about him.

But yes, I liked the arty arty visuals of the movie.
    Swifty, Writing

guess i'm just not intellectual enough or izzit tat i expected too much i dun know...... and i really didn't get the last part where suddenly they were attacked... who attacked them?? y???

and if shawn and edison is the younger version of andy and jacky, then is charlene the younger version of andy's wife (cannot remember the actress's english name)...

Originally posted by rourou
    guess i'm just not intellectual enough or izzit tat i expected too much i dun know...... and i really didn't get the last part where suddenly they were attacked... who attacked them?? y???

and if shawn and edison is the younger version of andy and jacky, then is charlene the younger version of andy's wife (cannot remember the actress's english name)...
    From the very beginning of the movie it already said that there was a contract out to kill Andy. We never found out who ordered the contract and there was never really any stop order.

If apples are apples and oranges are oranges, then yes I would presume that charlene is the younger version of Andy's wife.

Originally posted by gooze
    From the very beginning of the movie it already said that there was a contract out to kill Andy. We never found out who ordered the contract and there was never really any stop order.
    i see at first i tot it was jacky who ordered it... but it couldn't be rite cause then he was also injured... then must be the threesome group they were against??

Originally posted by rourou
    i see at first i tot it was jacky who ordered it... but it couldn't be rite cause then he was also injured... then must be the threesome group they were against??
    your guess is as good as mine.

if it was one of the three...
    one dead - cannot stop order
    two arrested - cannot stop order too

Yes, it's from the three traitorous dudes.

One died, the other two were rescued. But couldn't make a phone call to stop their orders (when they were in the car).
    Swifty, Writing