Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jiang Hu (Andy Lau and Jacky Cheung)

Er. The cronies Andy himself rescued, obviously.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

I think I'm the only one here that thinks Jacky ordered the men to kill Andy. If that was the case it would make the plotline of the story more solid. And thats one of the reason that I liked it. But its really a toss up between Jacky and one of Andy's lackey. But I doubt that Andy's stooges has the brain power to devise his downfall.

I liked the movie. Not the IA type of classic, but definitly above my expectation
    Perhaps the final hour is come
    I have left no testament
    Only a pen, for my mother
    I am no hero
    In an age without heroes
    I just want to be a man

The still horizon
    Divides the ranks of the living and the dead
    I can only choose the sky
    I will not kneel on the ground
    Allowing the excutioners to look tall
    The better to obstruct the wind of freedom

From star-like bullet holes shall flow
    A blood red dawn
    Declaration - Bei Dao

Well, they had three cronies doing the planning, three minds. All these while, Jackie had only wanted to find the killers (and also their masterminds).

It was made it seem as if Jackie was the one who ordered the killings... but why the hell would his hired goons kill him too?

Meanwhile, the cronies, shortly after getting rescued by one-eyed dude, did want to make a phone call (in the car), but was stopped by the latter.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Yeah...I was kind of wondering about that. But I think it WAS the other 3. The guy with white hair, I think he wanted to call off the whole killing Andy thing, but then he couldn't say it in front of the guy with the eyepatch, so he couldn't call it off, and ended up killing Andy and Jacky.

I wonder what Jacky meant at the end though, when he made the phone call and said "Shing, get me that little punk" or something like that. Then it cut to young Andy to make us think he was talking about him to kill old Andy...agh..confusing?

I don't think Jacky would plot to kill Andy though. After all that stuff they went through together? And after Andy said he was saving Jacky's mom? I don't think he'd kill Andy.

Its really a toss up, that's why now I was hoping to get the DVD cut with the directors cut to get some resolution to this. But I'm really not convinced even with the three stooges plotting together they could kill Andy. Considering they can't save themselves. With the portrayal of Andy almost being all knowing, its hard to believe that he could see through Jacky's plan to save the stooges but not save himself.

And at the end of the film Jacky wanted to find the guy he ordered to kill Andy but can't call it off. Thus he died trying to protect his brother. As Andy died trying to show Jacky how much their brotherhood meant to him.

Probably I'm reading too deep into this, but I guess I would find that kind of ending more satisfying then Andy taking a fall under some stooges, doing it for some power struggle.

Well, to me, it's going to show how ironic reality is that an all-knowing dude got killed by the stooges.

Jacky continued his search for the killer shortly before going out with Andy, little did he know that it was a GANG of them.
    Swifty, Writing

Originally posted by zoey
    I think I'm the only one here that thinks Jacky ordered the men to kill Andy. If that was the case it would make the plotline of the story more solid. And thats one of the reason that I liked it. But its really a toss up between Jacky and one of Andy's lackey. But I doubt that Andy's stooges has the brain power to devise his downfall.
    ya I thought it could be Jackie (lefty) who order to kill Andy because maybe he thought Andy was weak and force him to retire...

Because if it was the other 3 warlord... they have hate Lefty the most and shouldn't they attempt to kill him first then turn on Andy? Or would they think killing Andy first then Lefty would be easy to kill off...
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

But in the hospital didn't Jacky give Andy advice to leave since he had a family and all that? He wanted Andy to stay safe right?

I still think it's the guy with white hair. Probably him alone...that scene in the car still triggers some questions. Why did he need to call so bad? And he faltered when the eyepatch guy asked him who he needed to call. And he looked uncomfortable when he couldn't use the phone to call his "wife."

Originally posted by chynagongju
    But in the hospital didn't Jacky give Andy advice to leave since he had a family and all that? He wanted Andy to stay safe right?

I still think it's the guy with white hair. Probably him alone...that scene in the car still triggers some questions. Why did he need to call so bad? And he faltered when the eyepatch guy asked him who he needed to call. And he looked uncomfortable when he couldn't use the phone to call his "wife."
    Exactly.
    Swifty, Writing

Can anyone tell me where I can get the Jiang Hu themesong sung by Chapman To? Is there a Jiang Hu soundtrack album or Chapman To album out there?

Just want to say that, based on this 1 song, I'm pretty impressed with Chapman's singing. He sounds better than a lot of the current crop of young singers. Will he sound as good with other songs? I don't know. But I'll certainly be looking out for any other songs that will be sung by him in the future.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-18-04 at 05:53 AM.

I have not watch the scene where Turbo copulate with a dog (it's a hidden clip in the DVD), but I felt that by cutting away that part, the flow of the story has been severely disrupted. In the cut version, I only saw Turbo unbuckled his belt. Then, Yik came to the rescue. The cut version make it seem like Yik came in time to save Turbo, so Turbo never copulate with the dog. And because turbo never copulate with the dog, the reason/case for him becoming who he is in the furture becomes not as strong. In fact, I think it's not strong enough to explain the change of personality in Turbo. The director need not show the whole copulation scene, just bits and pieces to confirm that Turbo really did it.

You mean why Turbo was so loyal to Yik or why he turn so pyscho?

Spolier WARNING

I always thought Yik was more pyscho because he would kill without blinding... and it shows when they were older and gang up. They were taking people down left and right.

The scene remind me of the story about A better tomorrow where Chow Yu Fat talk about drinking Urine to save Lung's life or vice versa.... does something like this happen to make your more loyal or pyscho? I don' know.
    Flame on I am gone...

-----------------------------------------Spolier WARNING------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    You mean why Turbo was so loyal to Yik or why he turn so pyscho?
    Why Turbo turn psycho and kill people at the drop of a hat. That experiance teach him that he need to be strong and heartless to protect himself. You strike first before u are striked.

--------------------------------------------end of spoiler---------------------------------------

Btw, did CYF really drink urine to save Lung's life in A better tomorrow or is it just all talk?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Btw, did CYF really drink urine to save Lung's life in A better tomorrow or is it just all talk?

I believe it wasn't shown, just mentioned.
    Swifty, Writing

I always assume it was real because you would thought that CYF charactor was crazy enough and loyal to Lung to do that.

As in Jiang Hu, I feel that both Yik and Turbo are heartless but Yik is more cool and calm when he kills while Turbo is wild and a little menace when he kills. Both are unpredictable.

SPOILER WARNING

The reason why I thought Yik turn cold blooded was when he watched his own brother getting kill. Even how he treat his GF which I assume later turn to his wife... was pretty cool.
    Flame on I am gone...

Not sure whether the prostitute really became his wife though.
    Swifty, Writing

Spoiler warning !!

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Not sure whether the prostitute really became his wife though.
    I choose to think Yoyo is not Yik's wife. I can see young Turbo became the current psycho Turbo. I can also see young Yik became the current cool Yik. But I really can't see Yoyo became the shrewd and dignified lady that is Yik's wife.

But I thought Yik promise the girl that he will take care of her (so assuming he keep his words) that he would marry her somedays.

I think people could change for the better. And remember Yik's body guard, he is loyal not only to Yik but to his wife because she helped him before... meaning that she too could be in the triad and you can tell when she command the bodyguard to tell the truth she has that authority about her.
    Flame on I am gone...

Yeah, for me, I just felt that he found another better woman after that.
    Swifty, Writing