Thread: Third Editions of OTG, YFF, FFOSM and ADS

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Default Third Editions of OTG, YFF, FFOSM and ADS

Just after reading the new editions of Ode to Gallantry, Young Flying Fox, Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain and A Deadly Secret I will again jot down a few changes that I came across.

In the Ode to Gallantry:
    There are hardly any changes at all, like Jin Yong wrote in his epilogue. He just merely changed some dialogues to make it more fluent. Nothing else has changed; the ending is the same, as far as I can see there are NO changes too in the Sword of the Yue Maiden.
    The most noticable changes I saw were:
    - The maid of Shi Potian, Shijian, does not get killed. She only gets her acupoints sealed this time. Shi Potian managed to stop Ding Dang from killing her.
    - When Shi Qing tells Shi Potian about what Zhang San and Li Si did, he mentioned a certain Taoist priest melting copper plaques with his internal energy. In the previous edition this Taoist priest was the leader of the Qingcheng School, but now he is/was the leader of the Kongtong School.
    - Shi Potian is very much certain that he only loves A Xiu and not Ding Dang.

The Young Flying Fox:
    * Personal note: I think that the third edition of the Young Flying Fox is just marvellous. There are no plot changes or anything, but somehow the little changes Jin Yong brought on made the novel.... perfect.
    - Feng Tiannan is killed by Hu Fei during the world's martial arts gathering. Feng Tiannan was trying to sneak away during the confusion, Yuan Ziyi quickly told Hu Fei to kill him before he could escape.
    - There is a short battle between Tang Pei and Hu Fei during the world martial arts gathering.
    - Yuan Ziyi is not so detestable anymore.
    - Tian Guinong gets extra humiliated during the martial arts gathering.
    And again some dialogues are altered to make the book more fluent.

The Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain:
    Again no big changes, just some changes in the dialogues etc.
    - One change is that Hu Fei thinks about Yuan Ziyi and Cheng Lingsu at a certain passage.
    Also there are no changes in the other short stories, as far as I can see them.

A Deadly Secret:
    - The biggest change is that now we are certain that this novel takes place in the Qing dynasty. Wu Liuqi of the Duke of Mount Deer is mentioned. I am not going to reveal in what context that would spoil the biggest change and I am lazy now to translate that part now.
    - Again some dialogues are changed to make the story more fluent.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Addendum on A Deadly Secret:

The treasure which was mentioned in the story originates from the Liang dynast (502-557 A.D.). The whereabouts of this treasure was lost when emperor Yuan (552-555 A.D.) killed every official and craftsman who participated on the construction of this hidingplace. And after emperor Yuan himself was killed the secret was entirely lost.
    It was only during emperor Kangxi's reign that a monk residing in the Tianning Monastery accidentally found out about this treasure.
    As a Buddhist monk he had no desires of keeping the treasure for himself, but he wanted to assist his martial arts nephew Wu Liuqi. He knew that Wu Liuqi was a member of the Heaven and Earth Association, so he knew that the money would serve a good cause. He wrote a letter to inform Wu Liuqi about his findings, but he could not just write down:"I found a treasure, come and get it."
    So he wrote a series of cryptic clues in that letter, because both the monk and Wu Liuqi had studied the Tang Poem swordsmanship, Wu Liuqi would naturally understand the clue. However, when the messenger arrived Wu Liuqi was unfortunately killed by the family Zhong. Gradually parts and bits of the secret leaked out in the realm of martial arts.
    The teacher and martial arts uncles of Di Yun belonged to the same martial arts school as Wu Liuqi and the Buddhist monk. So they too studied the Tang Poem swordsmanship and knew this sword style was linked to a treasure.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Athena, how about the ending of Flying Fox? I mean, the duel between Hu Fei and Miao Renfeng? If this is too much of a spoiler to everybody else, please PM me