Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lydia Shum - 1947 - 2008

Default Lydia Shum - 1947 - 2008

RIP Lydia Shum.

Lydia Shum Din-Ha (Chinese: 沈殿霞, born July 21, 1947 in Shanghai, China, died February 19, 2008 in Hong Kong), also known as Lydia Sum, was a Hong Kong comedian and actress known for her size. Regularly sporting her signature dark rimmed glasses, she was affectionately known to peers and fans as Fei-fei (肥肥, literally Fat Fat or Fatty), and has appeared in numerous Hong Kong films.

Shum was the sister of Canadian designer Alfred Sung.

In late January 2008, Shum's mother passed away in Canada while Shum was already admitted into the hospital. Despite her later release, she was not yet able to travel to Canada due to her health.

On 19th February 2008, the news of her death was released which she passed away in Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong in the morning

source: wikipedia

pls post a picture of her...thanks...why did she die? lets all pray for her soul...
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

MAGIC SHOOTER HISASHI MITSUI!

i just read this at af too. rip lydia. condolences to her family and friends.
    ---------
    Shellie

Quote Originally Posted by big master View Post
    pls post a picture of her...thanks...why did she die? lets all pray for her soul...
    You don't know her? She was Adam Cheng's ex-wife and made sure everyone knew she was once married to the famous Adam Cheng. I'm sure AdamCheng2447777777--Adam Cheng's super fan would be glad to hear this news.

As for me, I'm pretty much indifferent about it. She probably had health problems because she was too overweight.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    You don't know her? She was Adam Cheng's ex-wife and made sure everyone knew she was once married to the famous Adam Cheng. I'm sure AdamCheng2447777777--Adam Cheng's super fan would be glad to hear this news.

As for me, I'm pretty much indifferent about it. She probably had health problems because she was too overweight.
    That doesn't really mean her death is any less significant than someone who wasn't obese...

Besides, maybe it was genetic? Not everyone is obese by choice (but I dunno the story behind her obesity).

Lydia Shum is wayy more famous and way more well liked than adam cheng.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    That doesn't really mean her death is any less significant than someone who wasn't obese...

Besides, maybe it was genetic? Not everyone is obese by choice (but I dunno the story behind her obesity).

I'm not saying her death is less important. I'm just indifferent (meaning no feeling for or against her) and was never her fan.

There are medical studies where obesity is one of the leading causes of death. That's why people are encouraged to exercise more to keep their health and live longer.

Just read this: http://www.doctorslounge.com/primary...obesity_death/
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 02-19-08 at 12:44 AM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I know, but I'm just wondering why she was so obese....like normally people that obese would seek help with their health. So I'm just wondering if her obesity was genetic such that she couldn't really do much about it.

rip.... i know she been fighting some kind of sickness for a while now. at least she dont have to suffer any more, but again... rest in peace lydia
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

From what you reposted, she had diabetes and the article link I posted said:

Obesity and inactivity also strongly increase the risk of diabetes, the sixth leading cause of death.
    It's most likely, her obesity caused her death.

Genetically predisposed to obesity? We'll have to know if her parents were obese too. Lydia's daughter is chubby, but it may be because she had the same lifestyle and diet as her.

regardless, it's really sad for her daughter cos i think lydia's mother died last month, and lydia this month. i hope that dealing with the media won't be too much for her.

From what you reposted, she had diabetes and the article link I posted said:

It's most likely, her obesity caused her death.

Genetically predisposed to obesity? We'll have to know if her parents were obese too. Lydia's daughter is chubby, but it may be because she had the same lifestyle and diet as her.
    but i remember reading that lydia was very fat as a child, which was how she got her first role eating noodles or something. I think it may be hard to lay the blame at one simple reason. it may be partially due to genes, but she certainly did not do anything to rectify it with her diet.

i believe diabetes played a bigger role in her death. not all of them are overweight, it's the body's ability to process the intake of sugar.

lydia had a weight issue, but i don't think it was her downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by foreva View Post
    but i remember reading that lydia was very fat as a child, which was how she got her first role eating noodles or something. I think it may be hard to lay the blame at one simple reason. it may be partially due to genes, but she certainly did not do anything to rectify it with her diet.
    As I recall she was a fat teenager when she entered showbiz, not a child. I've seen a picture when she was a teenager.

And as you may recall I used the words "probably" and "most likely", these are not definitive words because I'm not certain. It's the same as saying "maybe" , "could be" "might". I did not say she died because she's obese.

poor yan yee...

she's all alone. from her childhood interviews, i sense a hesitation against her dad's side of the family, especially the siblings. she always questioned why they had full custody of the father and she didn't even get phone calls.
    i dislike her father greatly, he's what i call, "ball-less jerks."

i hope tvb present some special segments on her behalf. she's contributed a lot to the industry. i remember, she's one of the individuals mentioned in leslie cheung's good-bye letter.

Just to justify why I believe obesity is a possible reason why she passed away and I'm not trying to be disrespectful of someone who died. It's an issue of mortality that all humans eventually have to deal with if they don't take care of their health and weight.

Do compare:

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    Source: appleactionnews.com
    Translations by miss scarlett @ Asianfanatics

Lydia Shum passed away this morning

Entertainer Lydia Shum passed away this morning in Queen Mary Hospital at 60-years-old. For many years Lydia has been suffering diabetes, high blood pressure, liver cancer, etc. Earlier on she received a bile duct operation.

Ho Sau Sun, who has worked with Lydia in the past described that it was hard to express his current feelings. "I can't seem to accept this at the moment... it's hard to explain my feelings."

---
    with this

The health problems associated with obesity are numerous. Obesity is not just a cosmetic problem. It's a health hazard. Someone who is 40% overweight is twice as likely to die prematurely as is an average-weight person. This is because obesity has been linked to several serious medical conditions, including:

* Heart disease and stroke.
    * High blood pressure.
    * Diabetes.
    * Cancer.
    * Gallbladder disease and gallstones.
    * Osteoarthritis.
    * Gout.
    * Breathing problems, such as sleep apnea (when a person stops breathing for a short time during sleep) and asthma.
    Credit info: Obesity Health Risk
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 02-19-08 at 01:21 AM.

No, I am not happy about this news. Her death doesn't benefit me and I never wanted her to die in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by foreva View Post
    Lydia Shum is wayy more famous and way more well liked than adam cheng.
    Based on what?

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    poor yan yee...

i dislike her father greatly, he's what i call, "ball-less jerks."
    What the hell's that supposed to mean? I didn't know he was "ball-less?"
    ♥ Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adamcheng22447 View Post
    No, I am not happy about this news. Her death doesn't benefit me and I never wanted her to die in the first place.

Based on what?

What the hell's that supposed to mean? I didn't know he was "ball-less?"
    he doesn't stand up for himself, neglected responsibility of his daughter, skewed priority, coward...

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    he doesn't stand up for himself, neglected responsibility of his daughter, skewed priority, coward...
    If he talked too much (which is not a gentleman) then people like you would say craps like, "Oh, whatever, bad excuses." When he chose not to talk much, such people still say, "He doesn't stand up for himself, what a coward." What do you want him to say then? Nothing will satisfy people who already dislike him.

You didn't even know the problems between them so I don't think you should judge him based on something that you read. Who said he neglected responsibility of his daughter? Fei Fei requested to have all of his money for the divorce and he agreed because he felt it was his responsibility. At that time he had only a few thousands with him. What I'm saying isn't based on reading crappy magazines FYI, it's from their personal interviews. Up until now, he and Joyce are still in touch and he even gave her his house keys because she's a family member. He and Fei Fei were also in contact before her death. Even both the mother and daughter have forgotten about the past, I don't understand why we should dig it out when someone is already dead.
    ♥ Adam

saw the news...i know her by face..its just that i dunno her name hehehe yea shes really famous...ive seen her in numerous commercials before. sheesh she looked soo different now...i mean, b4 she died...she really looked sick and got a lot thinner than before...she lost her cheerful expression

obesity? omg i shud be alarmed...i m almost as big as her hehehe... but seriously, she is fat but ive seen fatter people than her...its so sad she passed away...
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

MAGIC SHOOTER HISASHI MITSUI!