Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite / Most Memorable Exchanges In Wuxia

Default Favorite / Most Memorable Exchanges In Wuxia

Hi all,

Dialogue is one of the most important components in the Wuxia genre. Dialogue sets up the mood, builds suspense, and adds life to otherwise inanimate characters. What are some of your favorite and/or most memorable exchanges in Wuxia?

Here is one of my favorites from Lu Xiaofeng Vol.3 - The Duel. It is the epic exchange that happens between Ximen Chuixue and Ye Gucheng. This has to be up there as one of the most legendary encounters in all of wuxia. By the way, who do you think gets the better of this exchange?

Ximen Chuixue: "You are a practitioner of the sword?"
    Ye Gucheng: "I AM the sword."
    Ximen Chuixue: "Do you know where the essence of swordsmanship lies?"
    Ye Gucheng: "Where?"
    Ximen Chuixue: "In sincerity."
    Ye Gucheng: "Sincerity?"
    Ximen Chuixue: "Only those who are sincere can reach the highest pinnacles of swordsmanship. Those who are insincere are not even fit to touch a sword."

Ye Gucheng's pupils suddenly contracted.

Ximen Chuixue: "You are not sincere."

Ye Gucheng fell silent for quite a while, then suddenly asked: "You are a practitioner of the sword?"
    Ximen Chuixue: "There are no boundaries to the sword, there are no limits to its mastery."
    Ye Gucheng: "If that is so, then you should understand very well that a swordsman is devoted ONLY to the sword. There is no need for sincerity towards people."

Ximen Chuixue did not say another word. There was nothing left to say.
    All roads lead to the horizon. All words end with the sword.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

That's my all-time favorite as well. Gu Long was really at the top of his game in that exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    That's my all-time favorite as well. Gu Long was really at the top of his game in that exchange.
    Nobody got the better. Both of their minds were focused on something else more important at the time. Ximen Chuixue however, later devoted himself entirely to the sword.
    Yo momma cat

another favourite? mine is in fact a one-liner, no exchange.
    "Er-mei disciples bade a safe journey for leader".

An exchange between Sun XiaoHong and Lin XianEr.... Chapter 82 of Duo Qing Jian Ke Wu Qing Jian

Totally awesome

Lin XianEr laughed coldly and said, "I know that you're looking down on me right now, but I think that you're much worse than I am, do you know why?"

"No, I don't." Sun XiaoHong said.

"He killed your grandfather, and he's about to kill Li XunHuan, yet all you can do is stand there like a piece of wood." Lin XianEr said.

"And what should I be doing?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"You should ask yourself that ... don't tell me you don't even know what you're feeling in your own heart?" Lin XianEr said.

"I know." Sun XiaoHong said.

"Then you should be grieving, regretting, and in pain." Lin XianEr siad.

"How do you know that I'm not in pain? When a person is grieving or in pain, that person doesn't have to show it with words but with actions." Sun XiaoHong said.

"And just what exactly have you shown? Just what exactly have you done?" Lin XianEr said.

"What can I do now?" Sun XiaoHong said.

"Since you know that Li XunHuan is walking to his death right now, you should at least try to stop him ..." Lin XianEr said.

"You think that I can stop him?" Sun XiaoHong sighed and said, "If I were to do that, then his mind would just be in even more disarray, and he'd die even faster."

"But you ... you haven't even shed a single tear." Lin XianEr said.

Sun XiaoHong was quite for quite some time, before saying, "I really do want to start crying right now, start flooding my eyes with tears, but now is not the time."

"What are you waiting for?" Lin XianEr said.

"Tomorrow ..." Sun XiaoHong said.

"But when tomorrow comes, there will be another tomorrow." Lin XianEr said.

"Because there will always be another tomorrow, there will always be hope." Sun XiaoHong said.
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

That's when a swordsman becomes a swordsnerd.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Finally, proof that Gu Long > Jin Yong in something...
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Finally, proof that Gu Long > Jin Yong in something...
    Proof of what? What's that "something"?

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I'm sure Jin Yong has his share of memorable dialogue.

I still remember this scene in a TVB serial inspired by one of Jin Yong's novels with a group of pugilists surrounding the villain. When they were about to kill him, a monk steps in to intervene.

"Everyone here is about to exact their revenge for the murders he has committed but if I may ask, have any of you not killed a person?"

Quote Originally Posted by Radken

I still remember this scene in a TVB serial inspired by one of Jin Yong's novels with a group of pugilists surrounding the villain. When they were about to kill him, a monk steps in to intervene.

"Everyone here is about to exact their revenge for the murders he has committed but if I may ask, have any of you not killed a person?"
    It's the Sweeper Monk from Tian Long Ba Bu.
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

Which doesn't exist in the book and isn't anything new or special. "Let who without sin cast the first stone".

Thank you Temujin and yes, the line is clique. *grins*

Sounds like Yat Dang of LOCH 83’ to me.

OT: Is that guy of your avatar the freakish monk from God of Cookery who tried to rape Stephen Chow? Hehe, I'm not sure how I could remember such things.

Dude, you got the wrong monk. The guy in my avatar is Ji Gong from an old ATV series. Time to change avatar, heh.

I remember this scene from Demi Gods and Semi Devils '95 where Kiu Fung was chasing this ninja through the city and had a hard time trying to catch up. When they finally both stop at a remote location, the ninja taunted him and Kiu Fung smiled back.

"Sir, you might be faster than me but I can also tell by your voice that you're quite old. Even though I might not be able to catch you today I believe ten years from now when your power has diminished I'll no doubt surpass you. And even then it's not too late."

Dude, you got the wrong monk. The guy in my avatar is Ji Gong from an old ATV series. Time to change avatar, heh.

I remember this scene from Demi Gods and Semi Devils '95 where Kiu Fung was chasing this ninja through the city and had a hard time trying to catch up. When they finally both stop at a remote location, the ninja taunted him and Kiu Fung smiled back.

"Sir, you might be faster than me but I can also tell by your voice that you're quite old. Even though I might not be able to catch you today I believe ten years from now when your power has diminished I'll no doubt surpass you. And even then it's not too late."
    Ah ... Qiao Feng and his father
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Awesome father and son bonding moment. *grins*

Having just read the translated xia ke xing chapter 3, i must say that sometimes jin yong is not bad as well.

For example, this is not bad:

Hence, he did not expect the boy to say, "Big Good Man, you want to eat some jujubes, do you not?"

"What 'Big Good Man'?" asked Xie Yanke in surprise.

"You are a big good man," answered the little beggar, "so I am calling you Big Good Man."

Xie Yanke's face became stern. "Who said that I am a good man?" he asked.

"If you are not a good man, you are a bad man," said the little beggar. "Then, I will call you Big Bad Man."

"I am not a Big Bad Man," said Xie Yanke.

"Now, that is strange," said the little beggar. "You are not a good man, but you are also not a bad man. Ah, that is it! You are not a man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Having just read the translated xia ke xing chapter 3, i must say that sometimes jin yong is not bad as well.

For example, this is not bad:

Hence, he did not expect the boy to say, "Big Good Man, you want to eat some jujubes, do you not?"

"What 'Big Good Man'?" asked Xie Yanke in surprise.

"You are a big good man," answered the little beggar, "so I am calling you Big Good Man."

Xie Yanke's face became stern. "Who said that I am a good man?" he asked.

"If you are not a good man, you are a bad man," said the little beggar. "Then, I will call you Big Bad Man."

"I am not a Big Bad Man," said Xie Yanke.

"Now, that is strange," said the little beggar. "You are not a good man, but you are also not a bad man. Ah, that is it! You are not a man!"

Some of my favorite exchanges are:

1. Conversation between Guo Jing and Temujin at the end of LOCH. Temujin was bragging about his accomplishment which took a year to travel on horse end to end. The simple GJ replied about how much a man would take for his body to be buried, meaning all other excess lands were a waste. Ambitious mind vs pratical mind.

2. Conversation between Wei Xiaobao and his buddy Kang Xi when he was about to be executed. Friendship vs loyalty.

Hmm.. I see that Jin Yong had been taking Holy Bible as a source too. This guy is really resourceful in his writings.
    There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.
    Plato

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSnake
    Some of my favorite exchanges are:

1. Conversation between Guo Jing and Temujin at the end of LOCH. Temujin was bragging about his accomplishment which took a year to travel on horse end to end. The simple GJ replied about how much a man would take for his body to be buried, meaning all other excess lands were a waste. Ambitious mind vs pratical mind..
    I especially liked the part wherein Gwok Jing asked Genghis Khan if the latter knew what the price of his glories and victories were: the corpses of millions of soldiers, and the tears of their widows and orphans.

That line there showed why Gwok Jing was a hero and the Khan was not. The Khan used his power for personal ambition and glory; Gwok Jing used his in the name of compassion for his fellow human beings.