Thread: Ling Buo Wei Bo in RoCH/HSDS?

Default Ling Buo Wei Bo in RoCH/HSDS?

I was reading Kirara's translation of HSDS (thx kira) and came across one part that mentions the Ling Buo Wei Bo used by Guo Xiang from the Jade Maiden martial arts. Is there any relations to this and XiaoYao's Ling Buo Wei Bo?

Before her opponent could make any move, Guo Xiang started to attack again by poking his legs with her sword's handle. This time she used Ling Bo Wei Bu (Ling Bo Walks Beautifully), which was taken from Yu Nu Jian Fa (Jade Maiden Sword style) she learned from Xiao LongNu.
    That sounds like an attack technique instead of a... er, what should we call DY's Ling Bo Wei Bu? Walking formation technique or something?

Anyway, my guess is no, there should not be any connection. Just another name recycling by JY.

BTW, can anybody remind me what is the name of the similar skill practiced by WXB?

Hundred Steps Divine Walk?
    Bak Bo Sun Hung
    Last edited by Yang Guo; 09-01-04 at 03:42 AM.

I thought it was Shen Xing Ba Bian - Divine Walk Hundred Changes

Senior Member Du Gu seeking a win's Avatar

Default Re: Ling Buo Wei Bo in RoCH/HSDS?

Originally posted by Yang Guo
    I was reading Kirara's translation of HSDS (thx kira) and came across one part that mentions the Ling Buo Wei Bo used by Guo Xiang from the Jade Maiden martial arts. Is there any relations to this and XiaoYao's Ling Buo Wei Bo?
    The correct PinYin is 'Ling Bo Wei Bu' meaning (Water Goddess') Ling Bo trippling (steps). What Kirara translated is HSDS 1st edition (1961), later on (in the 2nd edition of HSDS) Jin Yong changed that passage and changed the stance (see Athena's translation).

Such 'corrections' by Jin Yong is rather normal. In the 1st edition of Book & Sword, 18 Dragon Palms was a ShaoLin Kungfu. You probably recall that Chen Jia Lo, to get the birth documents of his brother (the Manchu king) had to pass 4 ShaoLin halls. The 'guard' of the 3rd hall is an 18 Dragon Palms expert.

In the 2nd edition of B&S that passage was changed.

Default Re: Re: Ling Buo Wei Bo in RoCH/HSDS?

Originally posted by Du Gu seeking a win
    The correct PinYin is 'Ling Bo Wei Bu' meaning (Water Goddess') Ling Bo trippling (steps). What Kirara translated is HSDS 1st edition (1961), later on (in the 2nd edition of HSDS) Jin Yong changed that passage and changed the stance (see Athena's translation).

Such 'corrections' by Jin Yong is rather normal. In the 1st edition of Book & Sword, 18 Dragon Palms was a ShaoLin Kungfu. You probably recall that Chen Jia Lo, to get the birth documents of his brother (the Manchu king) had to pass 4 ShaoLin halls. The 'guard' of the 3rd hall is an 18 Dragon Palms expert.

This is certainly a revelation: I had no idea that Hong Lung 18 Palms still existed in any form into the Qing Dynasty. I thought that the technique probably went extinct sometime in the late Yuan Dynasty (after HSDS) or during the Ming Dynasty.

Default Re: Re: Re: Ling Buo Wei Bo in RoCH/HSDS?

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    This is certainly a revelation: I had no idea that Hong Lung 18 Palms still existed in any form into the Qing Dynasty. I thought that the technique probably went extinct sometime in the late Yuan Dynasty (after HSDS) or during the Ming Dynasty.
    Ken,

Jin Yong wrote tons of stuff in his earlier novels that were later revised in the second edition to present the continuity and consistency to his loyal readers.

Same examples :

WYY knew some martial arts in DGSD first edition

GX executes LBWB moves in ROCH first edition (but this novel was written before DGSD)

Both 9 Yin and 9 Yang were written by Da Mo

Xie Xun knows HL18Z

ZSF was able to exchange Wu Dang's 9 yang with Shaolin's 9-Yang

At the end of HSDS, ZWJ became the leader of both E Mei and Ming Cult

Duan Yu's ability to absorb inner power was not attained in the cave and it's not called BMSG, but instead, he got it when he got locked together with MWQ and swallowed the frogs inside the room while struggling to fight the poison inside his body.

and many more...

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Ling Buo Wei Bo in RoCH/HSDS?

Originally posted by Temujin
    ZSF was able to exchange Wu Dang's 9 yang with Shaolin's 9-Yang
    I think it was Wudang's 9 Yang plus Taichi to exchange with Shaolin's 9 Yang in HSDS 1st edition. Sorry if that is wrong, I haven't touched the book in many, many years and I have not read Kirara's translation.

Default Re: Re: Ling Buo Wei Bo in RoCH/HSDS?

Originally posted by Du Gu seeking a win

If 18 Dragon Palms was originally a Shaolin skill, could it be possible that the meaning of the name is not "18 Palms That Subdue a Dragon" but "The 18 Palms of Hong Lung" (the Lohan)?