Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xiao Zhuang Mi Shi

thanks Lady Zhuge, I tried downloading it too, didn't work for me either.
    www.eMotor.ca

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lady Zhuge
    I'm currently watching this series and just have a few comments to make about it. I'm pretty disappointed by Ning Jing. I thought she was really pretty as Zhao Ji in Luan Shi Ying Xiong Lu Bu Wei, but definitely not in this series as Da Yu 'er and even less so in Da Han Tian Zi II as Wei Zifu. She's one of those girls that looks better with as little makeup as possible.

I felt the same way when I first started the series, but later on in the series she wears less makeup (I think it's to get acrosss the idea that she is older), and she looks better. Even with a lot of makeup, she still looks great to me. But I guess not every one likes the heavy make up I guess.

Xiao Yu 'er is supposed to have received that nickname because she looks like Da Yu 'er, but the two actresses couldn't look less like each other. I agree with earth that the Xiao Yu 'er actress is more beautiful.

To me, she only looks good first glance. She has one of those cheaper, petty looks. Ning Jing's face has more symmetry and has more distinct charisma. Even with the lovely pictures you have provided us with, I feel that the sister isn't even that good looking period in modern costume

The story does get draggy and boring at times, especially with the "romantic" encounters and talks(I'm just not a big fan of that kind of stuff. ). Will it pick up somewhat?

I think so. I wasn't a big fan of this series when I first started. I went in with prejudices towards China series and Steven Ma, but still ended up liking it. I just liked how the talk about the struggle of Xiao Zhuang, her struggles in power and love become very real and admirable. Overall, it's very interesting stuff. But yeah, some parts (and often the romantic ones) can be quite boring, but I still like watching the beautiful people. Acting wise, I thought everyone did an excellent job!

Last thing for now. Wow, does this series have one of the longest opening songs or what? Good thing it's easy on the ears, though(as is the ending song).

Thanks for posting the link to the song, but I couldn't open it as well. Do you think you can find it anywhere else?
    Hope you enjoy the rest of the series

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/d/2003-01-06/3_28-3-329-503_2003010617369.jpg')
    Patience is a virtue

I finished this series over spring break. You're right, the makeup job on Ning Jing lightened up significantly as Xiao Zhuang "aged". Therefore, to me, she looked progressively better. Did you guys notice how towards the end, when Xiao Zhuang and little Kang Xi were looking at the eagles, how she had streaks of white in her hair, but then later, they miraculously disappeared? Did they have hair dye back then or something?

In real life, I've heard that Ning Jing is a lot like the characters she plays, but that her temperament is even better. All I have to say is, wow.

I still think the Xiao Yu 'er actress is pretty. She might come off as "cheap or petty" looking due to the snobby and jealous character she played. At first I hated Xiao Yu er's guts, but then later, actually pitied her.

I'm actually the opposite of you, simba. I went into this series being biased FOR China series, but had to change my expectations since it was really a China-Taiwan collaboration. There was a lot of weepiness and over-dramatized stuff(one thing that especially stood out to me was the overuse of coordinated lightning and thunder ). This is the first series I've seen with Steve Ma, and I thought he did pretty well playing the agonized lover and loathed uncle(although he did perhaps do the "fist-to-the-forehead" deal a bit too much, though). I definitely felt sorry for Duo Er Gun.

I haven't been able to find the songs yet, and one of my friends even tried searching under various Chinese engines, but with no luck. If I do find them, I'll post the link here.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

First of all, to Lady Zhuge: No, Liu De Kai is not related to Andy Lau as Andy's real name is not even Liu De Hua. But both a great actors. Is Liu De Kai Taiwanese? He has this sort of accent.

Not only for Ning Jing, I thought all the female actresses look better as they aged (in the series). I thought Ning Jing looked kind of weird with those white fluffly ornaments on her head, but her beauty really shone out when she became the Empress Dowager in the dark blue gown and that crown.

Is Bai Qin Ling the singer of the theme song?

I thought the sister (He Cai Fe??) looked really pretty as well, and she expresses the jealousy of her character very well. Wonder why she keeps on being given these roles of spiteful women (e.g. Da Zhai Men)?

However, I don't like the look of the actress who played Dong Wan Ru. its probably because i have been hearing stories of her legendary beauty even since I was 4, and I personally don't think she has that elegance.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Originally posted by charbydis
    First of all, to Lady Zhuge: No, Liu De Kai is not related to Andy Lau as Andy's real name is not even Liu De Hua.
    I was asking more in a tongue and cheek fashion, but thanks for the confirmation. What's Andy Lau's real name?

Is Liu De Kai Taiwanese? He has this sort of accent.
    Yep, he is. I also noticed in the opening credits that he co-directed this series with Long Xiao Gang.

I thought the sister (He Cai Fe??) looked really pretty as well, and she expresses the jealousy of her character very well. Wonder why she keeps on being given these roles of spiteful women (e.g. Da Zhai Men)?
    She's probably given those roles because she's so darn good at playing them! I recently rewatched Raise the Red Lantern and noticed that she played the third mistress Meishan(who was rather *****y, especially at first).

However, I don't like the look of the actress who played Dong Wan Ru. its probably because i have been hearing stories of her legendary beauty even since I was 4, and I personally don't think she has that elegance.
    I agree. She seems more fitting as a maid or something. However, she did give me the impression of being quite fragile, which is what the character was. I've seen this actress quite a bit lately, as she was also in TLBB 2003 and Li Wei Dang Guan II.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Andy's real name is Lau Fook Wing but he hasn't used that name since elementary school. Andy is from HK and Liu De Kai is from Taiwan.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

The opening and closing video clips of this series can be found

here and here, respectively. That's just like having the songs, but with the images to go along with them.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Originally posted by Lady Zhuge
    The opening and closing video clips of this series can be found

here and here, respectively. That's just like having the songs, but with the images to go along with them.
    I love the themesong and the scene where she walks up the stairs and all these guards are kowtowing at her.

The music sounds appropriate for the series.

Is this series the same series as Dai Yu Er or is this different?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Darn, double posting hahaha....
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Yeah, it's the same series as Da Yu Er.

I think the theme songs are what I like most about this series.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Originally posted by Trinie
    This sounds like the story of the Rise and Fall of Qing dynasty. That series was made in the early 90s by ATV. But it talked about how the Qing dynasty gained power and also mentioned Zhuang Fei and her love story.
    I think the leading actress Ning Ling who played the empress is NOT pretty at all. Her eyes are not pretty, it seem unnatural like stickout big fish eye balls.

I think the unknown supporting actress who played the empress's younger sister who married to steve ma is much prettier & natural looking than Ning Ling. I think the producer should be pick that unknown actress for the leading role in this series & other series instead of choosing Ning Ling.

I saw the atv's 1980's version of
    "the rise & fall of Qing Dynasty I & II", the storyline about the empress Xiao Zhuang Mi Shi and steve ma's story character of the duke have a different version than Mainland China's version.

I like the atv's 1980's version storyline of empress xiao zhuang mi shi much better even though the artists who played the empress & steve ma's story character is older but their good acting & storyline makes it much better.

I have not watch atv's 1990's version of "the rise & fall of Qing Dynasty: Bloodshed in the Forbidden City" starring casts michelle yim & anthony lau. Its too bad its NOT at least release it dual audio version of its original cantonese audio & dubbed-mandarin audio version.

Originally posted by Jenny_shiny in the Qiao Zhen Yu thread

yes, i have watched Xiao Zhuang Ni shi as well, and as i am currently watching Huang Tai Zi Mi Shi, i nust say i prefer the latter:
    here are my reasons why(sorry, my reasons may be unreasonable and a bit biased )
    1. it stars the very pretty Da Jiao Qing. gosh, she is just so beautiful in here!
    2. Steve Ma and Da Jiao Qing make a very beautiful if not tragic couple in here, sorry to Ning Jing's fans, but i really don't like her in Xiao Zhuang Mi Shi, i think that she does'nt have chemistry with Steve Ma...
    3. the loveteam of Zhao Hong Fei and Hu Jing!
    hehehe. told you i would be biased.
    Since I haven't watched Huang Tai Zi Mi Shi, I can't really compare the two. I've seen the opening and ending songs of HTZMS, though. IMO, the ones from Xiao Zhuang Mi Shi are much better. Was it weird watching two series with the same actors playing kind of different parts? What part did Ning Jing play in HTZMS? Did Liu De Kai still play Huang Tai Ji? I didn't like Ning Jing much in XZMS either. Maybe the tense love/conflict between her and Ma Jing Tao's Duo Er Gun contributed to the feeling of the lack of chemistry that they gave you?
    For some reason, I see Hu Jing more as Zhao Hong Fei's big sister than lover. But, I don't know, since I haven't seen them together playing a couple.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

What part did Ning Jing play in HTZMS? Did Liu De Kai still play Huang Tai Ji? I didn't like Ning Jing much in XZMS either. Maybe the tense love/conflict between her and Ma Jing Tao's Duo Er Gun contributed to the feeling of the lack of chemistry that they gave you?
    In HTZMS, Ning Jing will play Princess Jian Ning, who was an aunt to Steve's character. She doesn't have much screen time (I heard) and is the widow to the executed Wu Ying Xiong, son of the rebellious Han Lord Ping Xi, Wu San Gui.

LIu De Kai will again play emperor, but will instead play Emperor Kang Xi, who was a grandson of Empress Xiao Zhuang.

I watched a few episodes, but felt that XZMS gave a better prescence. I stopped watching nwo because of exams and feel no urge to catch up.

Actually, I think that NJ and Steve did quite a good job if you take into account the quarrels they were having, which was so severe that they had to calm down and separate, and then film again. (Steve Ma always seems to have quarrels with female co-actors)
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Does Steve play one of Kang Xi's sons in HTZMS? If so, which one? If not, who exactly does he play?

Actually, I think that NJ and Steve did quite a good job if you take into account the quarrels they were having, which was so severe that they had to calm down and separate, and then film again. (Steve Ma always seems to have quarrels with female co-actors)
    Oh, so Ning Jing and Steve Ma were having real conflicts off-screen while this series was being filmed? I didn't know that. Interesting. What were they quarreling about? I never would have guessed that Steve has a difficult time getting along with female co-stars.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Does Steve play one of Kang Xi's sons in HTZMS? If so, which one? If not, who exactly does he play?

Oh, so Ning Jing and Steve Ma were having real conflicts off-screen while this series was being filmed? I didn't know that. Interesting. What were they quarreling about? I never would have guessed that Steve has a difficult time getting along with female co-stars.
    Steve plays Emperor Kang Xi's second son (sorry, can't read his name) and is the crown prince and the son of Kang Xi's beloved deceased wife, who died in labour after being accidentally pushed by Princess Jian Ning who was confronting her brother on why her husband was executed.

I just don't like Steve's role. It's not as interesting as Dorgon (Duo Er Guan).

I have no idea what they were quarrelling about but it happened in that one of those scenes where Dorgon wanted Dai Yu Er to marry him after his brother's death, and the two stars ended up screaming at each other over and and over again. The director had to separate them for half an hour before starting to film again.

Problems with his female co-stars:

- In The Good Old Days, he had a few gigantic quarrels with Amy Chan over puntuality, but those two seemed to have alright chemistry in the series they had together. But I gues sit didn't help when they were said to be "together" and they two really didn't like that idea.

- In Warriors From Magic Mountain, most of the stars had a problem with Steve when he spent too much time in front of the mirror and arrived late, especially in cold outdoor scenes.
    Cyril Connolly

Thanks a lot for the info, charbydis. Steve sounds like a metrosexual with all the time he spends in front of the mirror.
    Ah, so he plays the crowned prince who would eventually be uncrowned. Do you know if the series even gets that far?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks a lot for the info, charbydis. Steve sounds like a metrosexual with all the time he spends in front of the mirror.
    Ah, so he plays the crowned prince who would eventually be uncrowned. Do you know if the series even gets that far?
    I don't think I will watch but my friend tells me he might run off with one of the girls and give up his title, while the fourth brother Ren Zhen would get the throne and become Yong Zheng.

It sounds pretty much stupid so I give up on it. Anyway, I never liked the crown prince in history, since he was a lazy sleaze and was rumoured to be bisexual and onto his father's young concubines. If his father didn't like him that much, he would have been long deprived as the heir to the throne, than when he was at 42.
    Cyril Connolly

I don't think I will watch but my friend tells me he might run off with one of the girls and give up his title, while the fourth brother Ren Zhen would get the throne and become Yong Zheng.

It sounds pretty much stupid so I give up on it. Anyway, I never liked the crown prince in history, since he was a lazy sleaze and was rumoured to be bisexual and onto his father's young concubines. If his father didn't like him that much, he would have been long deprived as the heir to the throne, than when he was at 42.
    I'm pretty familiar with the story from watching Yong Zheng Wang Chao, but I'm sure this version dramatized it a lot more. It probably made Ma Jing Tao's crowned prince much more tolerable, since he usually plays the good guy/hero type of role.
    I totally agree with you about the crowned prince in history. He was an a-hole who only got to be the crowned prince for so many years because of Kang Xi's promise to his mother on her deathbed at his birth. Ying Zhen was hardworking and sooo much better. I'm glad Kang Xi ultimately chose the right heir.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

well, i don't know much about the crowned prince in history, but the crowned prince in this series is very very nice. He gave up his throne just so he could be with the one he loved!!! sigh... what i wouldn't give for a man like that.........
    in this series the crowned prince is a great righteous man whose only weak spot is that he is too soft, emotional and very giving. good qualities for a man but not for an emperor. then he met Ru I, and he fell in love with her. Kang Xi, his father, and everyone else did not approve of this since Ru I is the a princess of the previous Ming dynasty, but he still fought for his love, defying everyone. I think he eventually got crazy with love, not so sure since i haven't finish it yet.
    on the other habd, Yong Zheng is portrayed to be the evil one here, he would pretend to be the good son and brother, helping the prince in every way he can, but he really want the throne for himself.
    Whereas the prince gave up the throne for his loveed one, Yong Zhen gave up on his love to have the throne. yikes!
    Gackt-sama's eternal love slave

Eh...that figures. I'm not interested in watching this series at all, then. It completely distorts history.
    It kind of makes me wonder about Xiao Zhuang Mi Shi too, since it was made by the same company. I felt bad for Duo Er Gun 'cause he was portrayed as more of the victim than a bad guy, but now I think they might have exaggerated quite a bit on that as well.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")