Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Default Book 24 Chapter 11 - Part 2

Jaya, Ysabel, DongBin, you are welcome. Shirak, I am still impressed with your guess based on strong arguments. (BTW, whats FIL?) Sky, I dont think thats what Xu Ziling thought Xiaohu, why did you assume first and second parts? What if the scroll was torn right in the middle? Lance, correct. At least thats my understanding too.

A hard to describe feeling appeared in Xu Zilings heart; perhaps it was because the relationship between them has grown closer that there was a big change in Shi Feixuans attitude toward him compared to when they first met. Previously, she had never tried this kind of half tender-beyond-reach stare, half rebuking attitude and voice, in talking with him, which was kind of touching, so that Xu Ziling was pleasantly surprised.

Laughing aloud, Xu Ziling stepped forward to take his position on her left. With a bit of losing-his-footwork feeling, he said, It was just a misunderstanding. Xiaodi thought that because of Miss Shis special status, you must be strictly maintaining the distance between men and women; therefore hey! I was just trying to show respect from a distance. Oh! That came out wrong! I was just respecting Miss outstanding, proper identity. Ay! You ought to understand what I am trying to say.

Shi Feixuan smiled and said, What does walking side by side have to do with maintaining the distance between men and women? On the contrary, by intentionally falling back, how did you show respect from a distance? Even more, it proves that you are appraising the harmonious limp and the swing of my hips.

Finished speaking, she continued walking forward, her jade countenance returned to her still-water-without-any-ripple serene expression. This time Xu Ziling leisurely, taking-it-easy, walked by her side, quietly waiting for her to continue.

After a good while, Shi Feixuan spoke seriously, Shi Zhixuan left a copy of Immortal Print Method, his intention was for Xiuxin Shibo to look at it. It was related to the struggle between the demonic schools and Jingzhai, which details can be easily imagined. Were it not for studying the scroll attentively, Xiuxin Shibo could not possibly be giving up and departing this mortal life at the prime of her life.

A chill crept up in Xu Zilings heart. He said, Shi Zhixuan accomplished his intention by doing such thing, no wonder Miss Shi is unwilling to recognize him as her father.

And then he anxiously said, Didnt Miss Shi just say that you examined the Immortal Print Scroll carefully? Are you not just repeating your esteemed Shibos disastrous policy?

You can say that, Shi Feixuan nonchalantly replied, Plus this is exactly Shi Zhixuans intention in completing the writing of the scroll. To Jingzhai, it was a blatant drowning battle. One day Feixuan might suddenly walk away from this, but in every case, I cannot simply pay no heed to it.

Listening to that, Xu Ziling did not know how to respond; worse yet, he did not know how to share her burden. It was quite half a day later that he finally said, Why did An Long want to obtain the Print Scroll? What benefit would that bring him?

By this time they had reached the end of the forest, where there was a clearing next to the Luohan Hall. Shi Feixuan slowly turned around to face Xu Ziling. Her voice was tranquil as she said, Toward Shi Zhixuan, An Long has some kind of near-crazy adoration, which has not changed for the last several decades. All along he wishes that Shi Zhixuan would unify the demonic schools. To him, the former obstacle was Xiuxin Shibo, and now the obstacle is Miss Qingxuan. As for between Yang Xuyan and Hou Xibai, he chose the former, because he believes that Yang Xuyan might become another Shi Zhixuan.

Puzzled, Xu Ziling asked, Yang Xuyan is that kind of person, why does Li Shimin still want to put him in such an important position?

Shi Feixuan replied, Actually, it could be considered that Yang Xuyan is connected to the crown prince Li Jianchengs men and horses. Even more, it was because Yang Xuyan and Li Yuans close relationship that he receives Li Yuans special favor. Plus recently Yang Xuyan played a critical role in Dong Shuni becoming Li Yuans concubine that his status is even more consolidated. Unless Li Shimin wants to break off his relations with his father and elder brother, what can he do to this officer [orig. chen, state official/subject in dynastic China] who, time and again, establishes marvelous merits, the most recent being assassinating Xue Ju?

Frowning, Xu Ziling said, Previously, Miss Shi has always been unwilling to talk about the demonic schools, but now suddenly you want to talk to no end; is there any particular reason behind it?

Shi Feixuan smiled and said, Since we parted on the Great Ba Mountain, Feixuan had rushed to the secluded forest in the small valley by waterway to notify Miss Qingxuan about this matter. It was only then did I find out that just before his death, Lu Miaozi had sent a letter via pigeon post to Miss Qingxuan. In his letter he wrote about many things, he had an extremely high esteem toward you and Kou Zhong; one of things he mentioned was that you might be the only one in the world, the unusual talent who precisely must learn the Hua Jian, or perhaps Bu Tians demonic skills, who could also understand the Immortal Print Scroll. Hence the reason she decided to hand over the Print Scroll to you. If you are unable to rush over in time, then she would destroy the Print Scroll in front of An Long and Yang Xuyan, so that once the main problem is solved, all troubles are solved.

Xu Ziling could not stop a burst of disappointment from bubbling up in his heart. Turned out the reason Shi Feixuan treated him so favorably now was not because of her impression on him had changed, but because of Lu Miaozis letter, or perhaps because Shi Qingxuan trusted him. He could not help feeling disappointed inwardly, the kind of feeling that was very unpleasant. From this, he realized that quite possibly he had fallen in love with this simple-and-elegant-like-a-fairy beauty; otherwise, how could he be so dispirited?

Thinking to this point, Xu Ziling suppressed all disturbing mood in his heart; acting as if nothing had happened, he said, So thats how it is. If I had known earlier, Xiaodi did not need to rush over a thousand mountains and ten thousand rivers to come here.

Astounded, Shi Feixuan said, Not being able to take a peek at the Print Scroll, you dont feel that it was a pity?

Xu Ziling emotionally said, Gains and losses, success and failure, how can we mind it too much? Otherwise, wont life be so excruciating? Besides, it is very likely that Mr. Lu was wrong, or perhaps he overestimated me, Xu Ziling. Suffering fire deviation is really not worth it. If you want to study martial art, the five hundred revered statues in the Luohan Hall, none did not imply profound mystery principles. The flying bird and sinking fish in nature, none cannot be my master; who would have time to collate and examine critically the book created by demonic school, heretical people?

Shi Feixuans beautiful eyes were deeply fixed on him, her pretty eyeballs were flickering with brilliant lights; she sighed and said, Only now do Feixuan understand why Lu Dashi admired you, Xu Ziling, so much! Evidently Xu Xiong knew that all of this temples Luohan are crafted personally by Senior Monk Kumarajiva [c. 334-413, Buddhist monk and translator of Zen texts] of the Later Qin [of the Sixteen Kingdoms, 384-417].

Stunned, Xu Ziling asked, Who is Kumarajiva? How come his name is so strange?

Shi Feixuan solemnly replied, Kumarajiva was a Senior Monk from Tianzhu [India, esp. in Tang or Buddhist context] with great virtue and great wisdom, who passed on Buddhist doctrines to the Central Earth, who had extensive study of Mahayana Dharma and especially proficient in Prajna and the essence of emptiness. His martial art skill was even more out of the ordinary, bordering the arhat realm, yet he never taught martial art; he was only talking about Dharma. After arriving in the Central Earth, he immediately started the work on translating the Buddhist scripture at the Xiaoyao [lit. free and unfettered] Garden in Changan. I am afraid even he himself had never thought that unexpectedly someone is able to see the profound mystery from the statue he designed; not only that, this person is not a Buddhist disciple at all. It is indeed unusual.

And then she cast him a sidelong glance and said, Fancy that you, this person, still think that Lu Miaozi was wrong in his judgment on you; are you afraid of bearing the responsibility yourself?

Smiling wryly, Xu Ziling said, After listening to you, I nearly wanted to come into the hall to take a couple more thorough look. Ay! Now this place no longer has any need of an idle person like me, Sichuan Alliance people are looking for me everywhere for Li Shimins sake. It is really not suitable for Xiaodi to tarry much longer; Miss Shi, please! Forgive Xiaodi for failing to accompany you.

Even with Shi Feixuans indifferent-to-fame-or-gain, seeking-nothing character, she could not help knitting her pretty eyebrows and spoke in displeasure, Why do you want to slip away so quickly? Could it be that you cannot see the suffering of the people everywhere? Even Bashu [Sichuan] that can avoid the fire of war in the Central Plains and the changes in political circumstances outside is also affected by the rising winds, scudding clouds [idiom: turbulent times]. Since Zhu Yuyan, Shi Zhixuan came into beings, all along we have been in the situation where the Way is diminishing while the Demonic is rising; otherwise the world would not have turned chaotic like this. Those with ambition ought to work a bit for the people.

Xu Zilings rueful smile went deeper; sighing, he said, The one with ambition is Kou Zhong and not Xu Ziling at all. I wonder if Miss Shis expectation on me is not too high?

Shi Feixuan returned to her usual calm and composed manner; she said, Does Xu Xiong know why I wanted to impersonate Shi Zhixuan to scare An Long away?

Thinking deeply, Xu Ziling said, Was it to see whether Shi Zhixuan is implicated in this matter? If An Long has received Shi Zhixuans instruction, naturally he would not have been that scared.

Glowering at him, Shi Feixuan said, And you want to leave without blurting it out to make everybody knows?

Embarrassed, Xu Ziling said, Turns out Miss Shi also know how to tease people.

Shi Feixuan let out a light sigh, and spoke gently, You, this person, are so difficult to wait upon. If Xu Xiong does not mind, would you allow Feixuan to be a small host, to invite you to try Chengdus famous authentic vegetarian dishes? Miss Qingxuan still has something shed like to entrust to you!

Frowning, Xu Ziling said, Miss Shi [Feixuan] does not need to waste your precious time for me; you only need to tell me where I can see Miss Shi [Qingxuan], Xiaodi can always go on my own to find her.

It was as if Shi Feixuan was able to see through him. A barely discernible smile escaped from the corner of her cherry lips; without any care at all, she spoke glibly, Here we go again! Once we part here, I dont know when we are going to see each other; cant you stay a bit longer to keep Feixuan company?

This was the first time that Shi Feixuan spoke gently to him to implore him. Thinking about how he destroyed her Jade Annulus of He Clan and she did not even take that into account and did not dispute it, his heart softened and he had no choice but to nod his head in agreement.

Thanks foxs.
    You're right, why didn't I thnk that way..

Amazing..after the scroll broken, now I'm able to reply here again, using the Android Chrome.

If you want to study martial art, the five hundred revered statues in the Luohan Hall, none did not imply profound mystery principles. The flying bird and sinking fish in nature, none cannot be my master;

Standing as 3rd group in 1st tier, Xu already have the mind of a da zong shi.

Thanks foxs! Is it just me or does it feel like xzl is the main need and kz is taking the back seat or were at an xzl arc and kz comes after? Personally i find the xzl parts more entertaining

If XZL was a girl, we would say that he's playing hard to get........

Thanks foxs

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs.

SFX is trying so hard and XZL keeps pushing her away. Sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by shirak View Post
    If XZL was a girl, we would say that he's playing hard to get........
    Lol good one

Just play the game of the chain in a block, with 0.1 etheric coin won three COINS, and so thousands of piece of it, this is a very good game, so I recommend this game, everybody can come to play, this game is that there is no way to cheat, all data are in the open, so we do not have to be afraid of being cheated!!
    Love can go to understand to see!!
    http://108usd.com/#/

Default Book 24 Chapter 12 - Part 1

Xiaohu, I was just teasing you. Chances are, you are correct, since Jin Yongs Jiu Yin was also divided into two parts: top and bottom. But honestly, I cannot imagine how the scroll of sheepskin can be broken into two. Akolaw, I dont care about your ranking system, but I agree that Xu Ziling is a grand master. Lance, my sentiment exactly. Kou Zhongs part is becoming more and more political and less wuxia. Shirak, Sky, thats not my impression though. Xu Ziling fell for Shi Feixuan, but she only regarded him no more than as casual acquaintance, and THAT hurt him. Ysabel, Jaya, you are welcome.

Looks like with all those captcha thingy, spcnet can only make things difficult for us, legitimate member, but fails to stop spammers. If any spcnet administrator reads this, please listen to my plea: take that captcha thing away. It is very, VERY annoying. Sometimes I just wanted to quit trying to post anything here.

Book 24 Chapter 12 Free Talk About The World

Several plumes of thick smoke were rising from the distant mountaintop beside the riverbank, straight into the sky.

Since last night, before dawn, the Jianghuai Army, who had been marching urgently for nearly thirty li under Du Fuweis personal command, has launched an onslaught against Shen Luns army camp. But unfortunately at the same time his dozen or so warships that were moored on the Great River by the army camp were burned down by fiery arrows. Kou Zhongs large-scale plan of ambushing Shen Luns retreating army on the river immediately came to nothing.

From his vantage point on elevated ground, he looked into the distance and saw that Shen Luns main stronghold has not yet fallen; the destroyed area were just the sentry camps on its perimeter.

The blowing wind brought the battle cry into everybodys ears. Chen Changlins pair of eyes was flashing with fierce and sharp lights; obviously he was very pleased that Shen Lun was being attacked.

Leaning over, Bu Tianzhi whispered in Kou Zhongs ear, In my opinion, Shen Lun still have the ability to guard against Du Fuwei. Therefore, although on the surface Du Fuwei seems to be gaining the upper hand, even though Shen Lun suffers some damage, his foundation has not been injured at all, so momentarily he does not need to retreat in panic. Ay! Even if he is leaving, he must leave by land route, because if he wanted to leave by the waterway, there is no boat that he could use.

Although he did not say it explicitly, he was pointing out that to ambush Shen Lun under current circumstances and current changes was practically not feasible.

Kou Zhong was feeling discouraged as well; without any better option he consoled him, Shen Lun is Old Dus well-matched adversary; quite possibly he will crumble soon.

Chen Changlin on his other side could not take his eyes from the development on the battlefield. Shaking his head, he said, Shen Lun is resourceful and brave. In terms of positive outlook and experience, although he cant compare to Du Fuwei, his military strength is even farther behind, but he is occupying the stronghold, which is favorable for defense without the advantage of offense, plus he has the opportunity to preserve and nurture his spirit. Although in the beginning he was under attack with no time to deal with it, but very soon he was able to turn the table around and stand his ground. My guess is that Shen Lun will suffer a rather heavy loss, but Du Fuwei will not reap much benefit either.

Suddenly the retreating bugle horn was sounded. Kou Zhong smiled wryly and said, Changlin Xiong is indeed able to prophesy with supernatural accuracy. Old Du is going to retreat!

Chen Changlin heaved a sigh, and said with a wry smile, Supposing Shen Lun is dispatching his troops to pursue and attack Du Fuweis retreating army, then our ambushing operation this time will have to be cancelled. But if Shen Lun cant even press on his advantage by pursuing and attacking, then we will still have a chance.

Kou Zhong praised him inwardly.

Not only Chen Changlin was a strong and courageous man with deep passion and heavy comradeship, he also knew how to separate public and private interest clearly. There was no way he would have everybody else take risks with him for his personal gratitude and grudges.

Comparing himself to Chen Changlin, Kou Zhong realized that he tend to act impetuously more than him.

Half a sichen later, Luo Qifei rushed back to give report on the latest situation on the battlefield. Shen Lun indeed sent his troops to pursue and attack the retreating Jiang Huai Army, but he was beaten back by the troops protecting the rear under Du Fuweis personal command.

Contrary to everybodys expectation, Chen Changlin was not disappointed at all. He smiled and said, Nobleman taking revenge, ten years is not too late. Shen Lun always gets whatever he wants, he has always ruled as a despot since he was young, his hometown always has fish and meat, he had never suffered any setback. This time we made him falling until his head and face filthy with grime, he had to return with his troops decrease his generals suffer loss. In the future he will still have to deal with Li Zitongs reprisal; I am very happy. Why would I have to be afraid that I wont have any more chance against them, father and son, in the future?

Kou Zhong rose up to his full height from the underbrush where he had been hiding; he said, Changlin Xiong is a hero with open-mind nature. While right now Shen Lun, Du Fuwei and Li Zitong, three sides are all too busy for anything else, this is best time to go all the way. When I get back from Lingnan, I will meet with Ling Shao, and together we are going to Guanzhong. As for our headquarters in Peng Liang and other places, I will have to trouble gentlemen!

The crowd responded in chorus; they were such in a high spirit, as if they had just defeated Shen Lun.

Chengdus great streets and small alleys were full of the vestiges of last nights festival. Fragments of paper from the firecrackers and remains of colored lanterns could be seen everywhere.

The pedestrians on the streets were sparse; compared to the vast crowd of last night, it was like a different world altogether.

It could be imagined that after having fun all night long, everybody was dragging their weary bodies home and climbing onto their beds like one that has achieved the Way [idiom: the emperor].

Along the street, nine out of ten shops did not open their door to do business. While Xu Ziling doubted in his heart whether the vegetarian emporium where Shi Feixuan was going to take him to dinner would be open for business, the beauty, who was dressed as a scholar, took him to the vegetarian shop on Orchard Lane at the west side of the city, which, beyond expectation, was just opening their main door to welcome the patrons.

It was obvious that this was not the first time Shi Feixuan visited the shop, since the shop owner personally came out to greet them, saying Qin Gongzi this and Qin Gongzi that, in a very respectful manner.

After Xu Ziling admitted that he was not a connoisseur of vegetarian dishes, Shi Feixuan promptly ordered several appetizers and personally poured him fragrant tea, making him feel overwhelmed [by favor from superior], because he had never expected that he would have the honor of sharing a table for lunch with her.

Such a big vegetarian shop, and they were the only patrons; it was quiet and comfortable.

No matter what the circumstances, Shi Feixuan was still the not-eating-the-food-of-common-mortals, indifferent-to-fame-or-gain touching character.

After a bit of small talks, Shi Feixuan gratefully said, Fortunately Xu Xiong informed me of Shi Zhixuans other identity, otherwise even now we are still unaware that Pei Ju, who singlehandedly toppled the Great Sui, is actually Shi Zhixuan, and only he can go so deep undercover, so that others are completely unable to find spiders thread and horse track [i.e. tiny hints of a secret].

Xu Ziling was still puzzled, How could he, one person, have so much destructive power? he asked.

Shi Feixuan replied, The problem is that he obtained Yang Guangs deep favor and trust, he was the person within the Sui family clan who was the most familiar with the political affairs of the Western Region; other ministers simply lacked the qualifications to offer any suggestion.

After a short pause, she continued, For example, in the seventh month of the tenth year of the great undertaking, Pei Ju, in his capacity as the You Guang Lu Daifu [Right Glorious Grand Master; honorific title during Tang to Qing times] at that time, was appointed the Hu Bei Fan Junshi [lit. proliferating military counselor protector of the north]. He immediately put forward a suggestion to Yang Guang, pointing out that Tujues Shibi Khans power is increasing by the day, so a plan to weaken them must be devised. He further proposed to give the Sui dynastys imperial clans women to be married to Shibis younger brother Chijimei, and grant him the title Nanmian Khan [lit. south side], and use him to split apart Tujues clansman who held power. In the end, Chijimei did not dare to receive either the marriage or the title; on the contrary, he revealed everything [orig. to put everything out including the tray] to Shibi. After Shibi found out, he put the blame to Yang Chenming. This was precisely the beginning of Tujue and Sui becoming enemies.

Listening to her, Xu Zilings scalp went numb; he said, Speaking about scheming, I am afraid not many people are Shi Zhixuans match. The most formidable thing was that he still appeared to be loyal to Yang Guang, and always appeared to have consideration for the Great Sui everywhere he went.

Shi Feixuan sighed and said, One scheme failed, he put forth another scheme. Pei Ju again strongly advised Yang Guang to incite the easiest Tujue man to drive a wedge between the two nations. Now the alienating the court was not concerning marriage or granting a title; rather, it was a man from the west called Shishuhuxi. If he could entice Yang Guang to behead this man, Tujue could come back to embrace the Sui palace courtyard. While he was unclear of the fact, Yang Guang agreed to his proposal. Thereupon Pei Ju used the highly profitable commercial trade as the bait, swindling Shishuhuxi to Mayi [lit. horse city/village, not sure if this is a name] to be murdered. Afterwards, he let Shibi find out. Henceforth the Tujue no longer present tribute to the Sui court.

Again she sighed before continuing, Yang Guangs successive generations emperors are the emperors who lost their familial property the fastest. Although the Great Qin also ended their reign after only two emperors, but in the beginning of their reign, the world were already seething discontent, unlike Yang Guang, who, when he succeeded the throne, was still in the flourishing period. Now it could be assumed that it was all because Pei Ju correctly analyzed Yang Guang as a man rejoicing in grandiose deeds, desiring to propagate his power abroad, having the mentality of subduing the four non-Han peoples to align their allegiance to him. After he was enticed to kill Shishuhuxi, Yang Guang still wanted to subdue the Tujue, patrolling the frontier fortress of the north. After receiving the secret information, Shibi personally led several tens of thousands elite cavalry to go down south to launch surprise attack on Yang Guangs troops, forcing Yang Guang to flee into the Yanmen [wild goose gate] to take refuge. Shibi captured thirty-nine out of Yanmen Countys forty-one cities, Yang Guang nearly lost his life. After this war, Tujue people no longer willing to acknowledge allegiance to the Sui; furthermore, they even had the intention to advance to the east. The main cause of this disaster is none other than Shi Zhixuan.

Xu Ziling said, Perhaps it was Shi Zhixuan who sent someone in secret to notify Shibi, telling him to lead his troops to invade the south. Ay! I really dont understand, by doing that with the Tujue, he was showing the wolf into the house, what benefit would it bring Shi Zhixuan?

Shi Feixuan gently said, This is precisely the bane of ideological struggle. It makes people put the national righteousness above everything else, while turning a blind eye toward the suffering of the common people. The root of this disaster came from the demonic schools supreme secret canon, the ten-volume Tianmo Ce [demonic manifesto]. The manifesto not only contains Tianmo Mi [demonic secret], Dao Xin Zhong Mo Da Fa [the heart of the Way demonic great method] and many different kinds of deep and immeasurable pinnacle studies, it also records detailed theory on the mysterious relationship between the universe and the life, believing that human nature is inherently evil, and that the destruction and darkness is the most powerful force in the universe. At the beginning it was only one kind of theory, until Emperor Wu of the Han dynasty banned many schools or thought and revered Confucianism as sole orthodoxy. Whether it was on the political arena or martial arts social circles [Wulin], all the orthodox sects seized the opportunity to pursue relentlessly and strike the demonic schools. Thereupon the outstanding disciples of demonic schools separately brought the scrolls while they were fleeing the disaster, evolving into the Two Sects Six Ways of today. Shi Zhixuans desire to unify the demonic way is precisely to bring Tianmo Ce back together again. Hatred was cultivated like that, and now, its difficult to change.

Frowning, Xu Ziling said, But that still did not explain why Shi Zhixuan wanted to lure the Tujue to enter the Central Plains?

Shi Feixuan explained, The demonic schools have already been established for a long time, all along they have gone through many changes. By the time of Emperor Wu of Han, several of the banned houses merged first; by the time Zhang Qian [c. 114 BC, Han dynasty explorer] went through the Western Regions, they also received foreign culture and religions influence, emphasizing the use of military force to eliminate dissidents. By the time of Wei [220-265 AD] and Jin [265-420 AD] dynasties, the demonic schools people were actively growing their base to the west. Both Shi Zhixuan and Zhu Yuyan have blood relationship with Hu people [barbarians]. Therefore, our national righteousness has no effect whatsoever on them.

Xu Ziling blew out a mouthful of air, long and slow, and then said, So thats what it is. If Miss Shi did not actively tell me, I am afraid for all my life I would never understand what crafty way the demonic school people are going to do next.

This moment the vegetarian dish arrived; steaming hot, emitting an aroma that was permeating the whole place, it was put on the table, smelling and looking like it would taste great.

Xu Ziling noticed that after sampling a couple of chopsticks, she put the chopsticks down, while he himself unreservedly gobbling the food with gusto. Feeling embarrassed, he asked, Is my table manners too unsightly that you lose your appetite?

Thanks foxs, for the update, and for teasing me..

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs.

I can see you being criticized for translating jun zi as "nobleman" instead of "gentleman" soon.....

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    Thanks foxs.

SFX is trying so hard and XZL keeps pushing her away. Sigh....
    Oh please. Ziling is perfectly within his rights to keep her at a respectful distance given how she has pretty clearly let him know she esteems the Multi-Loving Bigshot. Given that, and her oh so holy aura, she'll need to pretty much hit Ziling over the head if she wants to be treated with anything other that perfect proper respect.

Sly, you've subtly criticised him for his inaccuracy while trying to say another will be doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by shirak View Post
    I can see you being criticized for translating jun zi as "nobleman" instead of "gentleman" soon.....
    Those reading Wiki will "see you" as "by contrast."
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

In short, I believe it's too complacent not trying to study Chinese spelling. Transliteration often loses many dimensions. And that's why I've written 徐中銳 rather than Xu

Take for example "An Long." It's not merely misspelling "a dragon."

Quote Originally Posted by Lance23 View Post
    I actually know how to read those characters. when i was growing up i took a few classes as child but didnt pay much attention to it. I regret now because in chinese restaruants the good stuff is always written in chinese. I could read maybe 30% of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by 徐中銳 View Post
    Lance23, look up 對症下藥。

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    I reserve the right to be wrong.
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Don't let it discourage your freedom-of-speech to say what you care about.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Akolaw, I dont care
    For you know what 俠 means, its ideals.

It seems like the author when he wrote the book he hinted at kz being slightly stronger than xzl. Theyre pretty much eachs but kz is like a few percentage points stronger. Xzl makes up for it woth his intelligence. Dont get me wrong both of them are smart but xzl is like slightly smarter etc.

Grr typing on phone while commuting is not good i meant equals not each.