Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Book 25 Chapter 8, 9 and 10 are all about Xu Zhiling's story. Will Kou Zhong get three full chapters especially for him too....?

Thanks foxs

"This incomparably hard-to-defeat opponent has enabled him to make an important breakthrough in the cultivation of the martial way."

When Xu come to Bashu, he fought with Hou, it was a draw with Hou slightly ahead, in my book, both were 1st tier third group, Ac
    Hou know An Long was a notch or two above him, so should Xi Ying , clearly they are at another level, in my book 1st tier 2nd group, Ab.

Now Xu can kill Xi Ying in a one to one duel, and he admitted that he "make an important breakthrough", in my book , he is now elevated a level to 1st tier 2nd group, Ab.

"Last night, under pressure from Xi Ying, he fused and linked up all gongfa, especially during the final hand-to-hand close combat, he started with the Bloody Battle Ten Styles taught by Li Jing, and alternately used Tu Shufangs Severing Meridian Technique and Zhen Yans Handprints, to create strange moves. By the time the battle reached its peak, all the moves melted into one; where his mind went, his hand followed. This kind of carefree, pleasing and beautiful feeling, was extremely touching."

This shows Xu digested all he learn and come up with his own Xu's style, he qualify as a zong shi.

Creativity should be very important at this level, Shi Shi gave the assignment to Hou to come up with his own form or be eliminated as the only student of fa jan pai, You bird and his fellow shi brother , sister all create their own zong are strong indications.

"Since leaving Yangzhou and living a life as fugitives to the other end of the world, from two noisy, nameless kids, he and Kou Zhong have joined forces to assassinate Ren Shaoming, revealing their outstanding talent in the process, to the present day, where, in one-on-one duel, he made one of the Eight Major Martial Art Masters of the Demonic Way, the Heavenly Lord Xi Ying give up his soul while nursing a grievance. As for the bizarre twists and turns in this matter, perhaps ten days and ten nights would not be enough to tell everything, not to mention it was difficult to explain."

The recollection of Xu reminds the long path the two boy had go through in this 5 years (time in the book), almost the same as fox start translation in 2/14.

In chapter 1 book 1, Xu was 16, a petty street boy, his martial art training was train with Kou after peeping Shi's class at dojo, and beaten up by lao dai from time to time, so he should be better than layman but just average as member of the gang, so
    3rd tier 3rd group Cc. The other 3 boys, Hou Yang and Ba all early 20 something, were expected to be future zong shi, were all 2nd tier 1st group Ba.

now 5 years later, the 2 boys catch up with the 3 as 1st tier 3rd group Ac, and Xu passing them to break through to
    1st tier 2nd group Ab, so he have move from the 9th grade to 2nd grade in this five years.

"Hou know An Long was a notch or two above him, so should Xi Ying , clearly they are at another level, in my book 1st tier 2nd group, Ab."

This refer to the martial art caliber.

"Inwardly Xu Ziling cried, What a close call! If Xi Ying had not misunderstood his using Tianmo Gong and still used the original style without changing anything to meet Xu Zilings palm strike head on, based on Xi Yings demonic power level, which, by this time was still at least one notch above Xu Zilings, as well as that Xu Ziling did not know how to suck energy and borrow energy as he wished like Wanwan, Xu Ziling would have suffered big loss to some degree."

This refer to nei qi/ nei gong, which Xi is still better.

"This incomparably hard-to-defeat opponent has enabled him to make an important breakthrough in the cultivation of the martial way."

This again refer to the martial art caliber, in another word, Xu's improvement was not on nei gong.

Other than mudra plus mantra, Xu have move up a level in his mental power.

All Huang Yi 's 5 yuan wan wuxia from his 1st book breaking the void space, to Shing Tang trilogy all touch the tropic yuan (spiritual path in taoist term) and from martial art in to spiritual path.

This is how he set up his ma parameter.

breaking the void space is the top level. breaking the void space is actually the other name of refine voidness into tao, which is taoist version of nervana. People in this level disappear or leave this world, in Da Tang, we already have one grand master Xiang saint di disappear. Xiang 's story are also covered in HY's two other stories.

Refine voidness... is part of the generally accepted golden rule of taoist practice, which mention four refinments:
    they are refine essence to transform qi, ie body or physical power
    refine qi to transform san, ie nei qi or nei gong
    refine san to return voidness. san,sim, yi etc are all name of mind, so refer to mental power.

these form the differnet 3 tier and area they should focus more

in the 1st tier, mind power is the key, it does not mean qi is not important in 1st tier but mind power is the key here.

As the top grade gong fa in Chi Hong Jian Deen is Jian sim tung Ming. (sim)
    top grade gong fa in Saint Mon is Tao sim Jung Mor (sim)
    Xi Ying was 5th in old ranking of 8 (including Xiang), and 4th (now without Xiang) and his gong fa is call Ziqi Tian Luo (qi)
    we can see HY's indication as well.

So we see the taoist practice on body, qi, san (mind) and this compare to Xu's enlightening (accomplishment of mind) and transmission on mudra and mantra and the buddhist 3 myth is body speech (qi) and yi (mind)

We can see that Xu's advancement on mental power and he is ready for moving up a level, so he did.

We seldom see how this body, qi (speech) and mind as 3 stages in wuxia before HY, (now is a different story}, but I would like to share a quote from an authentic martial art manual.

Salt Shop Manual (Chinese: 鹽店譜; pinyin: Yn Din Pǔ) containing the T'ai Chi Ch'uan Treatise (Chinese: 太極拳論; pinyin: Tijqun Ln; WadeGiles: T'ai Chi Ch'uan Lun) attributed to the legendary Wang Tsung-yueh (Wang Zongyue). The text was said to have been found stored in the back room of a Beijing salt shop by Wu Yu-hsiang's brother Wu Ch'eng-ch'ing.[2][3][4]

which said 由著熟而漸悟懂勁,由懂勁而階及神明 which I loosely translate as: from familiarize the form to degree of flowing (like water) to gradually realize what is "know Jing", and from "know Jing" to step up to the state of (mind of ) divinely clear.

this clearly divide 3 stages in practice and from body to qi to mind.

Thanks, foxs.

Thank you foxs. Victory goes to Batman.

Default Book 25 Chapter 11 - Part 2

Anurman, Xiaohu, Shirak, Sky, are you of the two? Lance, Ysabel, HPC, Jaya, you are welcome. Akolaw, 6 posts for ranking? Chua, but honestly, I dont get it, why Batman?

Close to shore were more than a dozen fishing boats in full sail, returning to port. Just by looking at how deep the hull was in the water, one would know that they were returning from a rewarding journey.

Beneath the rippling, clear seawater were thousand-beauty-ten-thousand-shape colorful coral reefs. Kou Zhong mused inwardly that if he was not in a hurry, he would love to dive down to explore, which certainly would bring him endless delight.

Overwhelmed with emotion, he sighed lightly and said, Looks like Ling Shao is smarter than me. There are so many good places on earth more than enough to travel all my life, why would I want to painstakingly struggle over the world?

With the qualifications of one with much experience, Bu Tianzhi laughed and said, Sometimes Zhi Shu is also like you, feeling burnout; but in a flash that feeling would vanish without any trace. People need to play around and rest; Shao Shuai is too tired!

Embarrassed, Kou Zhong said, I was just making a casual remark! From Nanhai Pai, I remember a certain Huang Gongcuo. I seem to remember that the Zhangmen [headmaster] is a young and promising man; what was his name again?

Bu Tianzhi replied, Its Mei Xun. This year he ought to be around twenty-seven, twenty-eight years old; an expert in using golden spear, the most famous martial art master of Lingnans new generation, he ranks barely second to Song Shidao. But his martial art skill is definitely not under Song Shidao. Its just that Song Ques fame for fighting prowess is too flourishing that Song Shidao, who is related to him, is also considered a tad higher.

Curious, Kou Zhong asked, Why did Nanhai Pai and the Song Family become enemies?

Bu Tianzhi replied, This is called one mountain cannot hide two tigers. Nanhai Pai still has a little bit of influence to the coastal counties and towns. A bit deeper inland is the Song Familys world. Tell me, how could Nanhai Pai be willing to accept that?

Greatly interested, Kou Zhong said, Since Song Que considers himself unexcelled in the world, why didnt he go to Zhuya, beat old fellow Huang until he begs for forgiveness? Wont that settle the issue?

Bu Tianzhi laughed involuntarily and said, Shao Shuais remark sounds like a nave big kid. Perhaps defeating Huang Gongcuo is not difficult for Song Que, but then he would become the-two-cannot-exist-together mortal enemy with Nanhai Pai; there wont be any benefit to either party. Therefore, it is still better to get along peacefully with each other.

Kou Zhong asked, Where am I going to go ashore tonight?

Bu Tianzhi replied, In two sichen, we are going to proceed into Qin River. Shao Shuai may go ashore at Zunhua, then continue north toward Yu River. After crossing the river, you will reach Yulin County. The Song Familys mountain city is in the western suburb of Yulin City. I have prepared a detailed map, Shao Shuai shouldnt have any difficulty in finding Song San Xiaojie [third miss].

Kou Zhong blurted out laughing, Even Zhi Shu is teasing me!

While Xu Ziling was sitting alone in a corner of the inns dining hall enjoying tea and getting some rest, Hou Xibai came back freely and easily. He sat down and cheerfully said, Luckily I did not disappoint you. Recently, because of the tense situation downstream, passenger ships and traveling merchants are not willing to go. Fortunately Xiaodi still have a bit of face; I went to call on the most popular Wu Jiang Bang [black river gang]. Currently, only the passenger ships that they operate are not affected by the political situation. After evening meal, Xiaodi will take Ziling to board the ship.

Muttering to himself irresolutely, Xu Ziling said, Is it because Xiao Xian and Zhu Jies battle is getting intense?

Hou Xibai sighed and said, Probably so! You should know better than me. Three days ago the two sides fought a hard battle on the river next to Badong. Zhu Jies entire navy died, and the loss on Xiao Xians side was also quite heavy.

Secretly Xu Ziling guessed that most probably the warship on Xiao Xians side was under Yun Yuzhens command. Thinking about this woman, a burst of hatred and disgust welled up in his heart, while he had to admit that he was completely unable to understand her. All that she did in the past, what benefit might those things bring for her?

Hou Xibai continued, Both Zhu Jie and Xiao Xian have sent their men to Bashu as lobbyist, hoping to, at least, have Bashus three major powers to remain neutral. Its just that the Li Clans current prestige is like the sun in the middle of the sky, so whatever they say, I am afraid in the end their work will be to no avail.

Smiling wryly, Xu Ziling said, Zhu Jies lobbyist ought to be Zhu Mei. Compared to Shi Feixuan, she is like firefly compared to the sun; what kind of outcome could she possibly achieve?

After calling the attendant and ordered some good food and drink, Hou Xibai hesitated for a moment before saying, The current situation is obvious. Those that can contend against the Li Clan in the struggle over the world, in term of strength there is Wang Shichong, Dou Jiande and Liu Wuzhou, three parties. In term of personality, there is only one.

Stunned, Xu Ziling asked, Why did you say that?

Hou Xibai replied, It wasnt me, rather, it was Shi Feixuans analysis. The reason why the Li Clan is able to obtain their currently favorable situation is completely due to Li Shimin being in charge of the overall situation. He is like the bright moon in the sky, the outstanding heroes [or warlords vying for supremacy] under the heavens are just the dots of starlight in the background. Although Wang Shichong, Dou Jiande and Liu Wuzhou, three sides have enough power to contend against him, but in the end, they cannot compare against Li Shimin in terms of political and military affairs, and will be defeated. Dou Jiande and Liu Wuzhou are a bit better. The former has Liu Heita, the latter has Song JinGang, both are valiant military leaders with all-around wisdom and bravery. Wang Shichong does have famous generals, but he does not know how to use them. He should be defeated the soonest, the fastest.

Xu Ziling nodded and said, This, I understand; but in term of personality there is only one, who are you referring to?

After staring at him for half a day, Hou Xibai spoke in heavy voice, The one Feixuan was referring to, other than your good brother Kou Zhong, who else could it be?

Smiling wryly, Xu Ziling said, Dont you think Shi Feixuan thinks too highly of that kid?

Shaking his head, Hou Xibai said, Feixuan wont casually compliment just anybody. Both politics and military affairs, two aspects, are Li Shimins strong points. He is open-minded, generous in spirit, and has deep understanding on how to utilize people; a rarity since ancient times. And the only person who can strive against him is Kou Zhong. Were it not for Ziling having no intention of vying over the world, but with all your might you are helping Kou Zhong, I am afraid Li Shimin will end up nursing a grievance.

Xu Ziling blurted out laughing and said, Hou Xiong must not flatter us too much; the two of us just happen to be present at the right time! Looking at the current situation, we practically cannot have any accomplishment.

Hou Xibai laughed and said, Frankly, at that time my response to Shi Feixuans high assessment toward Kou Zhong was similar to yours; she was only smiling, but did not say anything. Obviously she has strong conviction of her own opinion.

Xu Ziling pondered for a moment, and then asked, Can I ask Hou Xiong a personal question?

Hou Xibai calmly replied, Ziling, please speak forthrightly; I really consider you as a close friend.

Meeting his gaze, Xu Ziling slowly said, In your capacity as the direct disciple and heir of Hua Jian Pai, what expectation does your esteemed master have over you? In any case, it couldnt be just for the intoxicating song and wonderful dance, and consideration for ladys chamber and passion, a life of wine-jar first and flowers next, could it?

Laughing in spite of himself, Hou Xibai said, Ziling must not laugh at me, because I am extremely in admiration and am engrossed in this kind of lifestyle. However, my pursuit is not the outer beauty of things, rather, it is the charm, grace and personality traits. Only by this will the outside and inside be identical, and will bring out the best in each other. By making that remark, Ziling is hinting that you doubt Xiaodis motive. With my character, I usually did not see any need to explain, but Ziling is an exception. Ay! I dont know how to say it.

Xu Ziling spoke indifferently, If it is to embarrassing to mention, then you dont have to answer.

Smiling ruefully, Hou Xibai said, Shi Shis only expectation on me ought to be the unification of Demonic Schools Two Sects Six Ways, to return the six volumes of the Tian Mo Ce [demonic policy] back into one. Tell me, under current circumstances, do you think its impossible?

Puzzled, Xu Ziling asked, Both Hou Xiong and Cao Yinglong mentioned that there are only six volumes of Tian Mo Ce; but Shi Feixuan said that Tian Mo Ce has ten volumes in total; why is that?

Hou Xibai replied, Tian Mo Ce originally had ten volumes, but what we inherit today are only six volumes.

The food and wine arrived. The two toasted each other.

Xu Ziling still did not understand, Since Hou Xiong is a demonic school disciple, how could there be so much difference with the other demonic school people? To say the least, you and Yang Xuyan are two different kind of people.

Hou Xibai grabbed a mantou [steamed bun] and handed it over to Xu Ziling, saying, I am afraid it is a bit related to nature and nurture. Although my character and my conduct are straightforward, but because I take pleasure in various arts, like painting, for example, I have no ambition toward power, riches and honor. In fact, this is also Hua Jian Pais tradition: the pursuit of self-improvement, not to drift with the waves and go with the flow.

Puzzled, Xu Ziling asked, In that case, why was Hua Jian Pai considered to be heretical and demonic way?

A hint of helpless smile escaped from the corner of Hou Xibais mouth; he answered calmly, First of all, Hua Jian Pais martial art originated from the Tian Mo Ce; this is an undeniable fact, nobody can say otherwise. Secondly, because Hua Jian Pais xinfa emphasizes entering passion before getting out of passion, only then one would surpass the true meaning of attitude of the heart and grasping the passion. To a lot of people, this is precisely one hundred percent heretical and strange behavior.

Xu Ziling nodded and said, It is indeed very difficult for people to accept. If Hou Xiong appeared publicly as Wuqing Gongzi [pitiless no passion, prince (reminder: Hou Xibais nickname was Duoqing Gongzi, which literally means young master with lots of passion)], others couldnt say anything instead.

Hou Xibai sighed and said, Our Sects xinfa is extremely subtle; it is rare that once Ziling hear it, you understand immediately. The reason why Shi Shi, using a thousand ways, a hundred plans, created the Immortal Image method was precisely to make a breakthrough in Hua Jian Pais xinfa. Otherwise, because of Bi Xiuxin, he would never be able to advance and pry into the demonic school way, he could only obtain it partially, but not wholly.

His heart was moved, Xu Ziling asked, Hou Xiong is unable to paint Shi Feixuan on your fan, was it also because of entering passion, but unable to get out of passion?

Shaken, Hou Xibai said, Finally Ziling could see through it. Our humble Sect wants to wander about unhurriedly among the blossoms [reminder: Hua Jian literally means among the flowers], aiming to be free and at leisure, to be passionate as well as without passion. Once the passion is made known, it can be covered for the sake of passion, it can take advantage of the demonic way for the sake of the heart. Therefore, although I could obtain only half of the Immortal Image Scroll, it is of a great significance for me.

Xu Ziling smiled and said, Time is running out! Let Xiaodi toast Hou Xiong with a cup.

Thanks Foxs.

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs....
    Last edited by wangxiaohu; 05-04-18 at 03:59 AM.

"A hint of helpless smile escaped from the corner of Hou Xibais mouth; he answered calmly, First of all, Hua Jian Pais martial art originated from the Tian Mo Ce; this is an undeniable fact, nobody can say otherwise. Secondly, because Hua Jian Pais xinfa emphasizes entering passion before getting out of passion, only then one would surpass the true meaning of attitude of the heart and grasping the passion. To a lot of people, this is precisely one hundred percent heretical and strange behavior."

again, xinfa ,xin is the key, there is some spiritual path taste here.

The story of how Saint Mon and Chi Hong established was told in HY's next wuxia legend of bien fong.
    Last edited by akolaw; 05-04-18 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs. Why Batman?...just an analogy that popped up. Ziling as Yue Shan has a lot more leverage in the world because of Yue Shan's reputation whereas Xu Ziling he's usually just getting chased down by various factions.

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs.