Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Whoohoo ... it works! Thank you so much!

Tail, calm down, just follow bchin's suggestion above. You know what, probably I don't have to move from spcnet. But let me test it a couple more days. I am so happy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Tail View Post
    NOW YOU REALLY PISS ME OFF.
    SHUT YOUR ****ING MOUTH YOU MISERABLE OLD FOOL
    WE JUST WANT TO READ HERE AND WE DON'T NEED YOU
    GET LOST MOTHER****ER
    Fox tail, please dont quote that old freak, or we will get poisoned again..

Yessss. works great. Pls continue translations foxs.

foxs .
    I have pm you for translation update
    Can you send me the update?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Tail View Post
    foxs .
    I have pm you for translation update
    Can you send me the update?
    Thank you
    I have receive it.
    Thank you foxs

Umm how do we send private messages?

You're using mobile browser? Just open someone's profile using desktop mode from your mobile browser.

Foxs, I'm sad to read that you will no longer continue to post the story here. It sucks that you have to stop due to a few unsatified readers. I know I speak for most of us when I say I truly appreciate all your hard work in translating this monster of a novel, flaws and all. But if posting it privately will help you keep your sanity, then I would love to subscribe to all your future translations. I'll PM you later with my updated email address.

To all the faithful readers here: Let's continue to comment after every updates. We can still keep this story alive here and show foxs' our appreciation!

It seems that my predictions (in part) are coming true! I still find it overly magical though.

Regardless of which author, the basics of internal strength, or power, and techniques, is key in all wuxia martial arts. Various authors differ in their emphasis between the two and "which is more important".

Here, I think we can agree that the boys started on their martial arts on the back foot, simply as they were too old. Their success centred upon cultivation using one of the greatest martial arts manual of the story arc, which centred on internal strength. Regardless, it can be seen that their internal strength is still slightly behind other top exponents of their generation. This can be seen through XZL's fight with HXB. I believe that it was also implied that BFH's internal strength was still above the boys. At this point, it's worth noting that the young generation generally still has lower internal strength compared to the senior generation or the very senior (eg. An Long vs HXB, You Niaojuan vs XZL, or Wang Bo vs Yuchi Jingde).

In terms of techniques, it can be said that they hardly had any training, with the notable exception of Li Jing's sabre style, and the grappling techniques. Their techniques were mainly self-derived through superior cultivation and their own intellect.

Despite that, it can be said that the boys have a superior understanding of the art of fighting aspect of martial arts (i.e the old greatest fighter vs greatest martial artist arguments). Some of these include control of space (from Lu Miaozi) and the Yijian technique.

So what has improved for XZL here? Internal strength? Perhaps he has improved in his ability to move his energy around, but there's hardly any indication of how his internal strength would have improved.

Techniques? Ok, he has probably discovered a high class palm technique. Art of fighting improvements? This is the aspect that he has probably improved the most.

So here, with no improvement to his internal strength, a new palm technique, Yue Shan's Ba Dao techniques (without practice), and Huan Ri Da Fa, that he hasn't exactly practiced for a long time, and a new high level understanding of martial arts, Ziling is going to beat someone closer to 2 tiers above him. As Feixuan puts it, "above An Long", when Ziling acknowledged that he can't beat You Niaojuan in a straight fight.

Still looks like Huang Yi magic.....

Quote Originally Posted by 徐中銳 View Post
    Briefly, it's a more challenging approach to study deeper into the Chinese language.

Recently, I've decided to write all names in Chinese text.
    Nothing wrong with that - but if your intention is to study the Chinese language more deeply - as opposed to exhibitionism of a higher level of written Chinese than some of the forumers here - a Chinese language wuxia forum (of which there must be a fair few) would seem a more natural place for you to offer your contributions. Although I suspect they may be more er... forthright if you come across as as much of a **** (pick from any number of pithy terms you'll be well familiar with, living in Nouvelle Zlande) as you do here.

"the regulars" still reiterate their thanksgiving "again and again and again..."
    There is a difference between expressing thanks for an ongoing translation of a lengthy novel, and the zillionth discussion of whether Guo Jing or Yang Guo would win if they duked it out. But you won't see it.

I remember the following famous 13th century poem titled 摸魚兒, by 元好問:
    問世間,情是何物?直教生死相許。

Anyone can link a notably accurate translation of it ?
    Why don't you attempt your own translation - in a separate thread?

whose champagne are his customers drinking ?
    ...and who made you the arbiter of whether this particular individual's effort at translation should attempt to be champagne, or Nabokov, or whatever other pretentious twaddle you've come up with? A lot of folks are quite happy and satisfied chewing down on hawker food, at a simple unpretentious local restaurant, or even McDonald's for that matter, without being too fussed about highbrow concepts of what dining (or literature, or translation) "should" be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabokov
    There are three points of view from which a writer can be considered: he may be considered as a storyteller, as a teacher, and as an enchanter.
    Now I think dumping the entire essay by VN into this thread was a pretentious (its repetition a very deliberate choice, if you were wondering) attempt at flaunting what you consider to be your higher level of readership - but apropos of the section of text above - I think (and am confident most readers would agree, though for exact percentages I suppose I'd need to ask my buddy at Cambridge Analytica) foxs' translation has successfully highlighted all three dimensions of Huang Yi as a writer. It's perfectly legit to delve deeper into the spiritual or textual intricacies of the original thread - but given that these can be quite complex, I would recommend the moderators separate discussion of these into their own thread (maybe in the Wuxia Fiction forum).

Quote Originally Posted by shirak View Post

So here, with no improvement to his internal strength, a new palm technique, Yue Shan's Ba Dao techniques (without practice), and Huan Ri Da Fa, that he hasn't exactly practiced for a long time, and a new high level understanding of martial arts, Ziling is going to beat someone closer to 2 tiers above him. As Feixuan puts it, "above An Long", when Ziling acknowledged that he can't beat You Niaojuan in a straight fight.

Still looks like Huang Yi magic.....
    Yeah - just as Zhang Wuji popping out having learned Qiankun to the 7th level in a few hours (!!!!) proceeds to thoroughly own the top experts from the six major sects, without causing serious injury or even significant offence. Wuxia magic is great isn't it?

Reminds me of someone that fails as a professional (pick any sports), works as a janitor and then goes to their local YMCA and then brags about how great their skills are when everyone else is just trying to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
    Yeah - just as Zhang Wuji popping out having learned Qiankun to the 7th level in a few hours (!!!!) proceeds to thoroughly own the top experts from the six major sects, without causing serious injury or even significant offence. Wuxia magic is great isn't it?
    Lol, very very different. Qiankun is a skill about energy and strength manipulation. The reason why Zhang Wuji can learn it so fast, is as his internal strength, powered by Jiu Yang, permitted him to do so. He remained vastly inferior in terms of techniques compared to top exponents till Zhang Sanfeng refined his martial arts on Wudang over the months they waited for news and for Yin Liting to recover from his injuries.

At that stage in the story, Wuji was already No.1 in terms of internal strength, although he needed the spark from Cheng Kun in Yuan Zhen guise to wake up his energy flow.

Xu's shortcoming in fighting is his lack of skill in same level.

His skill is base on qin na ji mek, short range, hand has to touch opponent's body. rival at the same class project qi out side without touching. how to control qi outside your body to trick and mislead your opponent is how they fight here.

Thanks, I had the following point leftover : it was your foxs who picked the dining metaphor, the door-plaque being a specific brand. Say, how akolaw appraises it, among the-world's-best thus, Noma www.noma.dk :

Well, what foxs' serving (nor what you've tried to discuss in terms of ingredients and taste) isn't exactly of Noma.

Quote Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
    A lot of folks are quite happy and satisfied chewing down on hawker food, at a simple unpretentious local restaurant, or even McDonald's for that matter, without being too fussed about highbrow concepts of what dining (or literature, or translation) "should" be.
    Focus your feelings away from me and see how members like LuDongBin are trying to help his cooking :
    Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    Pedantically speaking, the correct word should be seal. Mudras or hand seals in the Tantric sense are used to stimulate energy flows (prana) in accordance to the 5 Elements. For example, the little finger represents the water element; ring finger represents earth; middle finger for ether; index finger for air, thumb for fire. Within the Chinese meridians, some of the 12 standard meridians pass through each of the fingers eg lung meridian (thumb). When you form these hand seals, energy flows are generated to nourish or strengthened certain parts of the body. One of the exercises in Naropa's Six Yogas is the forming of these hand seals. If you read the passage where XL was imitating the hand postures of the various Luohans, the specific hand seal described appears quite similar to Naropa's. And XL was practicing essentially something of Indian/Tantric origin. If I form a mudra and imprint it on mud or cement, that would be hand print. You see the subtle difference? I'm sorry if I belabored this point. What I am suggesting is based on acceptable nomenclature and i have offered evidence therein. But if you guys prefer to base on guessing and feelings then that is another story.

At the risk of starting another round, the term 不死, may I offer "deathless"? Sounds better?
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

「周郎妙計安天下,賠了夫人又折兵」

Quote Originally Posted by zhouyu View Post
    Reminds me of someone that fails as a professional (pick any sports), works as a janitor and then goes to their local YMCA and then brags about how great their skills are when everyone else is just trying to have fun.
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

sorry, can't read Chinese Mr.Whatever (sorry, can't read your name)

+1

LOL!!!!!!

Public space ∴ for cognoscenti.

sorry, can't read Chinese Mr.Whatever (sorry, can't read your name)

Happy you're happy, botulism to two.

Quote Originally Posted by bchin22 View Post
    +1

LOL!!!!!!
    Last edited by 徐中銳; 04-03-18 at 06:30 PM.