Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Chapter Title is "The Victor", implying that at the end of the day, YXY will walk away with the Immortal Print Scroll.

Default Book 24 Chapter 10 - Part 2

Xiaohu, sorry, super busy in real life. DongBin, Ysabel, HPC, Jaya, you are welcome. Sky, Shirak, you think?

From the moment Wanwan threw the Print Scroll toward Xu Ziling, the changes had been treacherous beyond human comprehension; everybody has been carrying out strange scheme, which was beyond everybody elses expectation. Seeing Yang Xuyans brave action of abandoning the Print Scroll and pouncing down with all his strength to attack him, Xu Ziling could not help admiring his accurate judgment. But no matter what, the opponents concentration was slightly distracted; the originally powerful momentum was thus slightly weakened by the change of stroke, no longer imposing irresistible momentum like before. Thereupon Xu Ziling promptly seized this opportunity by gathering the fingers of his left hand into a palm chop, while forming his right hand into a fist. With wonderful footwork, he swiftly stepped forward and sent out a punch across the empty space.

Spiraling qi power ferociously shook the sharp blade of the opponents sword qi, followed by his palm chop coming down, while his foot stepped aside to enter the small gap to the left of the sword momentum. Strange, abstruse, quick-witted, leaving Yang Xuyan with no choice but to change stroke again to block. In the end, all four killer sword strikes returned without any achievement.

From this, it could also be clearly seen how formidable Yang Xuyans sword strikes were; even after the formidable power was weakened, Xu Ziling still had to give everything he had and exhausted his strength to neutralize it, not daring to meet the sharp blade head on.

Presently, the person Yang Xuyan wanted to kill the most has shifted from Hou Xibai to Xu Ziling. Come to think about it, there was a very big difference between the Xu Ziling that he met at Shen Luoyans fragrant residence in Xingyang City in the past and the Xu Ziling before his eyes right now. Come to think about it, the difference was enough to make the heart of any person who stood as his enemy shivered in fear.

Every change of Xu Zilings move, none was not brimming with like-a-heavenly-steed-soaring-across-the-sky, wonderful-to-the-highest-peak creativity. During the fierce battle just now, his moves in confronting the enemy were in harmony with the postures of the Luohan in the hall; continuous like a chain, the method changed just like the birds in the sky, the fish in the water, without leaving any trace, enabling him to use the weak to subdue the strong, to seize the strategic high ground. Nobody did not have their heart alarmed and their countenance moved.

Left without any choice, Yang Xuyan sank his qi down and turned his sword around to sweep and hack, blocking and diverting Xu Zilings piercing palm chop full of true power. Unexpectedly it produced a loud Bang! as the sharp of the blade was jolted by the qi power and thus it was unable to harm the edge of Xu Zilings palm the slightest bit.

The thing that gave Yang Xuyan more headache was the spiraling qi power, which was sometimes slow, sometimes fast invading his body via the edge of the sword.

A dense, cold and raw murderous intent welled up in Yang Xuyans heart. Retreating to the space between two Luohan and after neutralizing Xu Zilings vortex of energy, he met Xu Zilings not-yielding-a-single-cun chasing-to-kill attack head on with irresistible counterattack. His sword hacked down three times in a row; one strike was more violent than the other.

Using fantastic, swiftly moving technique Xu Ziling countered every move with all he had, while shouting loudly at the same time, Hou Xiong, get the treasure and dont worry about Xiaodi, just leave!

This remark was even more formidable than any moves; Yang Xuyan pulled his sword back in panic and flashed backward. At this time Hou Xibai was not having a good time either. He saw that the Print Scroll was about to crash onto the wall and shatter to pieces, plus Wanwan was ferociously pursuing close behind his back like a maggot sticking to the bones, as if he had suddenly become her mortal enemy with enmity as deep as the ocean.

According to reason, Wanwan ought to have the same thought he did, i.e. she would not want the Print Scroll to turn into scraps of paper. Thinking to this point, Hou Xibai suddenly had a flash of understanding. He knew that Wanwan was forcing him to take the right to save the scroll from her, based on the fact that the Print Scrolls importance to Hou Xibai far surpassed its usefulness for her.

If the Print Scroll was destroyed, at most Wanwan would lose the opportunity to understand the Immortal Print method, but Hou Xibai might never have the opportunity to climb to the highest level. The difference might be more than a thousand li away.

The contradiction in Hou Xibais heart was aggravating. When martial art masters fought against each other, the difference between victory and defeat was only a thread away. If he wanted to save the scroll, he might lose his life. But avoiding the Print Scroll meant he would fall into Wanwans hand, and he still had to give her advantages as much as possible, to avoid affecting her action to save the Scroll.

He had always loved the flowers, cherished the flowers, and was most forgiving toward the beautys shortcomings. But now, he hated this stunning woman whose beauty could be compared to Shi Feixuan to the point of gnashing his teeth in anger, and thus was feeling helpless.

Upon considering the severity of this case, Hou Xibais foot tapped the tip of the nose of the Luohan by his side and changed direction sideways. With a silver-bell-like tender laughter, Wanwan said, Now, thats a good boy!

The floating ribbon turned into a hundred white rainbows, rolling toward the Print Scroll, which was about six, seven chi away from crashing against the wall.

Whoosh!

A jade hand, surpassing-the-snow, taking-unfair-advantage-of-the-frost reached out from behind one of a row of Luohan statues leaning against the wall, and snatched the Print Scroll one step ahead before the floating ribbon wrapped itself around the Print Scroll. And then the missing-her-fragrant-trace Shi Qingxuan, like a specter floated over, and spoke with cold humph, This time it ought to be my turn to be the fisherman who reaps the benefit!

Wanwan pulled the floating ribbon back and flashed over in increased speed, and said with tender laugh, Could it be that Xuan Mei [younger sister] has not heard to whom the deer falls, and has not known about it?

Remaining tranquil and calm, Shi Qingxuan replied, Of course I have! The jade flute in her right hand sprinkled a wide expanse of dark green light protecting various vital acupoints on her chest, while the Print Scroll in her hand shot out toward the turning-around Hou Xibai.

It was this moment that Xu Ziling shouted loudly to tell Hou Xibai to get the scroll and get out; it could be said that the call was extremely timely. Wanwan did not have time to mind Shi Qingxuan, much less Shi Qingxuan received her training directly from Bi Xiuxin; taking care of her was absolutely not something that can be accomplished in just a few strokes. With a tender shout she changed direction to attack Hou Xibai.

The distance between Hou Xibai and the thrown Print Scroll was continuously decreasing. Having lost it and then regained it, he was very excited, so much so that his spirit rose to its highest peak. He even considered how to deal with Wanwans howling-wind-and-torrential-rain-like attacks after receiving the scroll.

At this critical moment, a revered Luohan statue, which was standing against the wall, unexpectedly moved suddenly, as if it was alive. It sprang up high into the air and pounced down toward him. If he continued flashing forward to take the scroll at the current speed, he would collide against the Luohan head-on.

This change was unexpected, even for Wanwan. Hou Xibai knew that although the Print Scroll was important, but if he lost his life, any Print Scroll would not have any use for him. The statue weighed more than a hundred catties, with the momentum of its movement on top of that, the total force he had to withstand was not a laughing matter.

He suddenly halted his steps.

The Luohan brushed past and slammed against another revered Luohan on the opposite side, creating a loud explosion that reverberated across the entire hall, as both statues exploded into smithereens and splashed in all directions. An Longs huge obese body flashed past between Hou Xibai and Wanwan, while the Print Scroll also disappeared without any trace.

Howling with laughter, An Long said, After all, the older the ginger, the spicier it is; Wan yatou [girl/servant girl], you fall into the trap!

Boom!

The entire hall shook. An Long broke through the wall and fled out of the hall.

This moment both Xu Ziling and Yang Xuyan were rushing over, and both were stunned at this unexpected change. Other than Wanwan herself, no one understood what kind of trap he was referring to when he said that Wanwan has fallen into his trap. Only Wanwan secretly blamed herself for underestimating this Zongzhu [head of a school] that could rank among the Eight Major Martial Art Masters of the Demonic Way along with Zhu Yuyan.

Previously she had used all kinds of tricks to instill fear in An Longs heart; she was even able to force him into difficult situation, so that he fled in disorder using her floating ribbon. At that time she managed to enter by exploiting a weak spot, by relying on the floating ribbon to produce Tianmo sound to control his mind, expecting him not to be able to recover in such a short period of time, thereupon she felt comfortable enough to fight over the Print Scroll. Plus she still heard the sound of An Long smashing the Luohan on the other side of the hall, hence she felt even more comfortable.

Now, of course, it turned out An Long was able to recover quicker than she had expected, and that he continuously smashed the statues to create a false impression that he was running away.

But this moment it was already too late for regret, and even if she wanted to chase after him, it would be too difficult to catch up with him.

Right this moment, suddenly An Long shrieked and flew back inside from the hole on the wall.

Everybody in the hall looked at each other in astonishment; they were even more stunned compared to when An Long successfully snatched the Print Scroll away.

Thanks foxs

Well, who else is in the area, and is powerful enough to make An Long panic? Feixuan is somewhere around, and this is Xie Hui's territory. Of course, ZYY herself might be in the area, but unlikely.

Regardless, I doubt that the Immortal Print Scroll will leave An Long's hands now. And hence, YXY will get it by proxy.

What do you think about translating his 不死印法?

Quote Originally Posted by akolaw View Post
    Shi Shi
    Since you know story, what that power of his really actually is, would you too settle for print as the summation of 印?
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Thanks foxs

I was kinda right...SQX did reappear from wherever she disappeared to. I think the next super being to enter the fight will be SFX since she's in the area.

Thanks for the udpate foxs.

Thanks, foxs.

Anh long is scared of sqxs father i wpuld assume he or someone his level is nearby to scare him back. sfx is around wanwans level not enough to scare his *** back.

印 is a term highly respected in Chan/Zen buddhism and esoteric buddhism

In Chan buddhism, student seek teacher's approval for his understand/awakening/enlightenment is call 印可,seal approval, to transmit the message is call 印心etc, in here it 印is seal.

In Esoteric buddhim, 印 is mudra, 手印 and one top vajrayana teaching is maha mudra 大手印 literally means great seal.

Shi use buddhism to link the wushu of two sect, his 心法/sim fa is his seal.

Quote Originally Posted by 徐中銳 View Post
    What do you think about translating his 不死印法?

Since you know story, what that power of his really actually is, would you too settle for print as the summation of 印?
    Dont know the story but i suppose it can be translated as seal i thought of bingyin for weapon but doesnt seem right.

Shi learn buddhism from 4 buddhist sects including Chan/Zen, in buddhist terms he received his teachers' sin yun/ 心印

Well, my own power tier for the novel would be:

1a - Shi Zhixuan, Xiang Yutian
    1b - The 3 grandmasters (Bi Xuan, Ning Daoqi, Fu Cailin), Song Que, Zhu Yuyan, 4 Holy Monks
    1c - Bi Xiuxin (she might be 1b, based on 2nd highest level of Sword Canon), Madam Dong Ming (aka Yue Shan and ZYY's daughter)
    1d - Most of the rest of the top 8 Demonic Masters (Pi Chen, Zhao Deyan, Zuo Youxian, An Long, and the last unknown one) Wanwan, Shi Feixuan (depending on which level of the Sword Canon she's at), Shi Qingxuan, You Chuhong, Yuwen Shang, Yue Shan, Liao Kong, Xie Hui, etc

2a - Renowned top tier individuals, eg. Yuwen Huaji, Dugu Feng (both Peak and Phoenix), Li Mi, Wang Bo, Wang Shichong, Du Fuwei, etc, You Niaojuan, Fu Junchuo
    2b - Current power level of the Twin Dragons, Hou Xibai, Yang Xuyan, Ba Fenghan, Qu Ao, the other 3 disciples of Xiang Yutian, Fu Qian, Fu Junyu, etc

I'm going to skip the rest that's below the Twin Dragons' current power level. I would consider Shang Xiuxin, Li Shimin's gang of followers, Tu Li, Dong Ming Princess, etc to be below 2b level. Song Lu is probably 2a as well. As for Song Shidao, I think he's either 2b or just below.

Hence, to freak An Long out, even in his current condition, the newcomer should be someone in Tier 1.

Lance23 might be right, it could be Big Daddy himself who is irritated with the news that people are bullying his beloved daughter (it's like Huang Yaoshi and Huang Rong....). Qingxuan clearly doesn't like Daddy much, so she'll probably leave immediately. Wanwan wouldn't want to have anything to do with the Immortal Print Scroll with Shi Zhixuan around and she'll probably disappear too. Ziling will run after his wife-to-be.

Shi Zhixuan probably has no opinion on which disciple to give it too, and will leave it in An Long's hands (who will then give it to Yang Xuyan). Hou Xibai will probably end up disappointed.

End state - Yang Xuyan The Victor.

Huang Yi is a professional writer for entertaining books, he have wrote many of them, and many are of different theme, he is also zong shi for two of them, one is chun yu/step to the past, the other yuen wan wuxia/wuxia with fantasy of spiritual path.

His yuen wan use the same wu sui skill setting, and are inter related, in another word, if we read all his story, then we understand the history of Saint/Mor Mon and relationship with Shi Hong.

Beyong the da zong shi is a level call 破碎虚空/breaking the void emptiness this is a level for siddha, those arrived are on the way to nirvana in different way. so those who enter this stage would leave/disappear. Xiang Yutian disappear and may(in da Tang) have enter into this stage.

破碎虚空 is actually 粉碎虚空 which is other name of 炼虚合道 the fourth stage of taoist spiritual refinement. taoist version of nirvana.

Yes I agree Huang is at higher level than the three grand masters. to distinguish the two please continue to read HY's yuen wan.

My 3 tier setting is according to the lower 3 stage of taoist refinement.
    炼精化气,炼气化神,炼神还虚

these are codes, and each word compact deep meaning, and I am a buddhist not a taoist, I may feel like I get some of the meaning but I have not receive any seal approval that I really understand, so I can only loosely translate as
    refine jing/essence to transform to qi/energy
    refine qi to transform to sun/spirit
    refine sun to return to hui/voidness.
    Last edited by akolaw; 03-09-18 at 12:16 PM.

Yes I agree Huang is at higher level than the three grand masters. to distinguish the two please continue to read HY's yuen wan.

Huang is typo I actually refer to Xiang Yutien, who disappear.

破碎虚空/breaking the void emptiness is HY's 1st novel and Shing Tang trilogy is his last, HY's passion is in wuxia.

In my opinion HY have do great research in many of his book and have strong interest in spiritual path for a lot of his book outside yuen wan wuxia touch upon this theme, and he may even be a practitioner, I think he intentionally change one of the word/name of authentic code as practice of Chinese old faction scholar to name of very respected individual.

there are more example coming in the story.

Right, it's not just that. The 不死 will be better, more precisely approximated as undead ? For, by all accounts, 石之軒 is eruditehe'd go for a shade of unorthodox/demonic rather than goodly immortal ?

Quote Originally Posted by akolaw View Post
    印 is a term highly respected in Chan/Zen buddhism and esoteric buddhism

In Chan buddhism, student seek teacher's approval for his understand/awakening/enlightenment is call 印可,seal approval, to transmit the message is call 印心etc, in here it 印is seal.

In Esoteric buddhim, 印 is mudra, 手印 and one top vajrayana teaching is maha mudra 大手印 literally means great seal.

Shi use buddhism to link the wushu of two sect, his 心法/sim fa is his seal.
    So, what do you think of Undead Seal Method as an approximation of 不死印法?Of course, 法 can also be substituted as
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Similar to TVB adaptations, beautifying the source for audiences ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lance23 View Post
    Kinda like hou xi bai his name name foxs stated why he opted for passionate prince. Instead of word for word translation.... since word for word really names scholar with lots of love/passion. Passionate prince is a more elegant way to english speakers I suppose.
    「多情公子」is indeed more subtle, nuanced suits his current development as an ally of 徐子陵?Calling him a prince, on first impression, do count against him ? 多情,sentimental ? He's more the sentimental-gentleman ?

Incidentally, 「東溟派公主」

So, what do you think of Undead Seal Method as an approximation of 不死印法?Of course, 法 can also be substituted as
    Hmm Imo seal should be used instead of print. Immortal/undead can up to foxs. But I agree 不死 those 2 characters can be interpretted as undead or immortal. Since shizhixuan is part of the demonic way he would probsbly have it as undead seal method/technique/style etc.

公子is actually the other son of a noble do not have the right to could not succeed the title of (duke etc.), so a nobleman that have all the money and TIME to play and become an artist.

多情refer to fall in love easily and therefore have muti - love. please also understand that if one fall in love easily and have muti - love actually do not really love anyone, and this is the inner meaning of the title and it fit the idealism of fjp.