Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs!

Thanks foxs

Default Book 12 Chapter 13

Kowloon, thanks. Anh, Ysabel, Jaya, spy, HPC, you are welcome. Dongbin, ok. Here's the end of Book 12.

Book 12 Chapter 13 Past Events Like Fleeting Smoke

Wang Shichong, in full military attire, stood on the bow.

Kou Zhong and a group of high-ranking military officers stood behind him.

Luoyangs outer city wall was already in sight, the atmosphere was solemn and respectful.

Four navy ships joined the procession, making the fleet look even more spectacular.

Wang Shichong was in great spirit, apparently he was in a very good mood. Beckoning Kou Zhong to come over, he asked, Has Kou Xiao Xiong been to Luoyang?

This will be my first visit, Kou Zhong respectfully replied.

Wang Shichong laughed aloud; he proudly said, The Luo River underneath us divides the Capital City into two sections, the north and the south. The Imperial Palace and the Imperial City are located on the northwest part of the City. The streets, squares, and marketplaces are scattered around the southern and eastern parts of the City.

Can our fleet sail directly into the City? Kou Zhong asked.

Immensely proud of himself, Wang Shichong replied, Not only we can sail directly into the City, we can go anywhere we like. In terms of convenience in water and land transport inside and outside, no place under the heavens can match the Eastern Capital. Other than the Luo River running through it, there are Chan River on the east, Gu River on the west, Jin River Canal on the north, and to the south, it goes through Jin Canal, through Ji Canal, Yi River, Cao Canal, Dao Canal, back to Jin Canal, Danshui Canal, and great streets and small alleys criss-crossing the entire city. Carts and boats interlink that nothing is more convenient than this.

The water gate has already risen, the fleet pushed deep into the City along the Luo River.

The view suddenly changed into a bustling scene of the city; Kou Zhong forgot to breathe, his tiger-eyes were wide open.

Wang Shichong whispered in Kou Zhongs ear, If you help me destroying Li Mi on the east, and subduing Changan to the west, I will make you King of Luoyang. This city then will become your territory, plus Xiao Ni will be your queen!

Recovering his composure, Kou Zhong took a deep breath and said, Thank you very much Sheng Shang [Your Holiness, a term used by a subject to address the Emperor] for your dragon kindness! As soon as he finished speaking, he was amused inwardly.

However, he also knew that he must not pretend in giving out flattery, because Wang Shichong might change his view toward Kou Zhong at any time.

Hearing the two-character appellation Sheng Shang, Wang Shichong laughed aloud. And then lowering his voice, he said, Rumor has it that you two know the secret of the Duke Yangs Treasure; is it true?

Kou Zhong cursed in his heart, but on the surface he maintained a deferential expression. Also lowering his voice, he said, We only have a bit of clues, but whether we can really find it or not, it remains to be seen.

Is the treasure in Luoyang? Wang Shichong probed further.

Kou Zhong pretended to be stunned. Shangshu is really formidable! he exclaimed.

Letting out a cold snort, Wang Shichong said, When the new capital was being built a few years ago, Yang Su was actively involved in it; hiding the treasure here is the most logical thing.

Kou Zhong was delighted inwardly, thinking that it would be best if you think that way.

Suddenly he saw the fleet was sailing toward the Big Bridge spanning across the River. Aghast, he shouted, We are going to hit the bridge!

Although Wang Shichong and his generals tried hard not to laugh, but it was very hard.

While Kou Zhong was still at a loss, the middle of the big bridge opened up, both sides rose upwards, revealing enough space that the fleet was able to sail through in single file unhindered.

Wang Shichong turned toward Kou Zhong, who was still dumbstruck, unable to conceal his amazement, and said, This is our Central Earths first drawbridge, designed by the worlds renowned master craftsman, Lu Miaozi. I am not surprised that Kou Xiao Xiong has never seen anything like this.

Pointing to the right bank ahead, he said, That is the Imperial Palace. Well go directly to see Yang Dong, I want to know what kind of trick he is going to play.

※ ※ ※

Stunned, Xu Ziling asked, Li Dage is married?

Li Jings old face blushed; he said, Its been a while! When Su Mei and I fled to the north that time, I was fortunate to come across her and obtained her benevolence by having my severed tendon fixed; otherwise your Li Dage would become a cripple.

In that moment Xu Ziling understood the whole thing.

Because of Li Jings change of affection, shift of love, in her grief Susu was forced to leave Li Jing, and was no longer willing to mention him.

Li Jing was puzzled, How come Zilings countenance became so unsightly?

Xu Zilings countenance turned cold; he spoke word-by-word, From this day onward, we are no longer brothers. Li Jing, please leave!

Li Jing was severely shaken, What exactly is going on? he asked.

Xu Ziling coldly said, You should be well aware of whats going on. In vain Su Jie loved you with all her heart. You fell in love with someone else and abandoned her. I have nothing else to say to you. Finished speaking he turned around and walked away.

Xiao Ling! Li Jing shouted.

Unleashing his qinggong, in an instant Xu Ziling left the river bank area and disappeared into the stream of people on a side street.

※ ※ ※

The grand, imposing eastern imperial palace was located at the extremity of the Luo River inside the city, northwest of Waiguocheng.

The imperial palace was divided into two sections: the Huangcheng [imperial city], and the Gongcheng [palace city]. The Imperial City was protected from all sides by Palace City on the east, south, and west, three sides, shaped like a letter U [orig. character凹 - ao], while its north side was separated from the Palace City by the city wall.

Imperial City city wall was a double-wall. The north side was triple-wall, and thus increasing its defense capabilities.

East and west inside of Imperial City were four side streets, which intersected the three streets going north and south, with the main street in the middle being the axis, where the government buildings, city hall, military headquarters, and so on were located along the side streets on either side of the main street, like the stars cupping themselves around the moon [idiom from Analects], on the left and right, not far from, the imperial palace.

Palace City was Yang Dong, the child emperors residence and the reception hall where he received the ministers.

North of Palace City were two walled cities Yaoyi [lit. glorious rites] and Yuanbi [lit. round rampart], so that Palace City was heavily surrounded and so the defense was much tighter than Jiangdu.

The fleet was slowly docking on the pier outside Imperial City. Wang Shichong laughed and said, Since Li Mi did not know that you and Shuni have gotten away, the news should not have reached Luoyang yet; so now Yang Dong is going to be caught off-guard. Perhaps until now he does not even know that I, Wang Shichong, am back.

This is called defeating the slow by speed, Kou Zhong said, As long as we can control Yang Dong, the Dugu Clan will lose their strongest backing. At that time, whether we want to kill or cut [referring to cutting off the flesh as punishment], it will not be up to them to decide.

Wang Shichong said, Although Dugu Fengs martial art skill is very high, he is still unworthy to make me lose sleep. But that old granny You Chuhong is indeed no small matter. Although the number of martial art masters under my banner is as numerous as a cloud, I am afraid none will be able to stop her. If she managed to escape the net and fled, the catastrophe will be great indeed.

Astonished, Kou Zhong asked, Why didnt Shangshu mention Dugu Feng? [Translators note: I know this could be confusing. The first Dugu Feng was peak/summit; he was Dugu Clans leader (see Book 2 Chapter 12 for first mention of this man). The second Dugu Feng was phoenix, the girl who came across Hou Xibai in Book 9 Chapter 2.]

Wang Shichong was taken aback, Why would I want to mention her?

Kou Zhong knew situation was worse than he originally thought; he spoke heavily, My friend Ba Fenghan has had confrontation with Dugu Feng [phoenix], he was nearly unable to escape alive. Reportedly her martial art skill has surpassed Dugu Fengs [peak]; it is second only to You Chuhong. How could Shangshu not know anything about this?

Wang Shichong has personally witnessed Ba Fenghans extremely strong skill at Pengcheng; hearing Kou Zhong, his countenance changed. If this is really the case, he said, Perhaps Dugu Clan still has other strengths hidden for an opportunity to plot against me.

Kou Zhong nodded. That must be the case, he said, We must be careful, otherwise, one slip and the loss will be heavy.

The ship was anchored; Wang Shichong led his entourage stepping down the plank.

※ ※ ※

With head down, Xu Ziling scurried along the street; halfway down, his mood calmed down somewhat. Especially with the street was lined on both sides with trees, providing him with ample shaded; the sky was blue, the cloud white, it was a love spring sunshine. Thereupon he strived to set aside the matter of regret that could not be undone between Li Jing and Susu, and put his mind on the buildings in the City of Luoyang.

Since leaving the Flying Horse Ranch, he was using his spare time to fetch Lu Miaozis book he left behind and browsed it to study. Having a considerable interest in building construction, this moment he was able to look around with expert eyes at this carefully planned city layout, which conformed to the terrain of the land, creating a capital that was famous throughout the world.

Xu Zilings mood turned to be more cheerful as he wandered the side streets and alleys. No matter where he went, the streets and alleys intersect each other in checked pattern like a chessboard, with the houses evenly distributed in perfect order.

A group of children was playing in a vacant lot, innocent laughter filled the air, making him reminiscing his childhood he spent with Kou Zhong in the City of Yangzhou. It seemed like the two of them had never played like this, every day was filled with the struggle to have enough food and warm clothes, as well as dealing with bullies.

While he was lost in his thought, he heard the sound of wind behind him.

Quickly turning around, he saw that it was Dou Jiandes top general, Liu Heita.

※ ※ ※

As Wang Shichong was stepping on the dock, a middle-aged general met him up. After saluting, he said, Everything is in order, Shangshu, please set your heart at ease.

This man was quite tall; he was probably a cun or so shorter than Kou Zhong. His face was long like a horses, and he wore a goatee, but his eyes were shining; evidently he was a martial art master in internal and external skills.

Wang Shichong introduced Kou Zhong to him, This is General Lang Feng. In my absence, Luoyangs affair is in his and General Song Mengqius hands.

Kou Zhong suddenly understood that this man was Wang Shichongs trusted aide.

At the same time he shivered inwardly.

Just by looking at the calm situation before his eyes, he knew that Wang Shichong has already transmitted his order via a special channel of communication, instructing Lang Feng and Song Mengqiu to secretly mobilize their troops to gain control over Imperial City.

Therefore, although when he first heard the news Wang Shichong appeared to be helpless, the fact was that an old fox would remain an old fox. After calming down, he exposed his true color: shrewd, ruthless, and formidable.

Lang Feng said, Shangshu Daren, please!

Wang Shichong smiled calmly, and took the lead to stroll toward the gate leading into Imperial City.

END OF BOOK 12

Thanks foxs

Thanks Foxs.. do you have qinggong or something? Your translation speed is really incredible.

Thks foxs.

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs!

Thanks for all the updates foxs!

XZL didn't even let Li Jing explain! Not cool! Did LJ have feelings for Susu? I wonder who his wife is.

I don't think I like any of KZ's ladies. Maybe with the exception of the Song girl. The rest are annoying, especially the new girl he hooked up with.

Li Jing and his wife were leads of the first Chinese wuxia fiction written in Tang Dynasty.

Default Book 13 Chapter 1 - Part 1

HPC, DongBin, Ysabel, Anh, Jaya, spy, you are welcome. Xiaohu, that was weekend ... Now I am back to busyness. Sky, agree (on the last girl). Akolaw, the only Tang Dynasty fiction that I know is Xue Rengui, but I don't remember this Li Jing character, must be different fiction? New book ... if you are superstitious, I can change the book number to 12A ...

Book 13 Chapter 1 Who Is The Wise Ruler?

Liu Heita tapped Xu Zilings shoulder, and went into a nearby shop selling silk cloth.

The two aging shop attendants did not even step out to greet them, as if they did not see them at all, as the two men proceeded deep into the shop, pulling the bead hanging curtain separating the front and rear sections, passing through the small warehouse filled with bolts of cloth, and stepping out into a courtyard. Turned out there were two other layers of building at the back.

Four men and one woman were congregating at the courtyard, talking. Seeing Liu Heita, they all showed respect as they greeted, Liu Dage!

Liu Heita nodded. He led Xu Ziling into the building at the left side of the courtyard.

It was a simple, unadorned, small hall; other than a table, few chairs, and some essentials, there was no other furnishing, not even a cabinet, much less any decorative furnishings.

When the two was seated, Liu Heita laughed aloud and said, Very good! Unexpectedly I came across you. I dont know how many times I heard evil tidings about you, who would have thought that you are still like a lively dragon and animated tiger. Where did Kou Zhong go?

I lost touch with him, Xu Ziling replied, But we agreed to meet here. Finished speaking, he sighed inwardly. Although Liu Heita was a good man, all along he was Dou Jiandes man, so he should not disclose too much to him.

Knitting his brows, Liu Heita said, I hear Li Mi sent his men to intercept you. Shall I send out my men to look for Kou Zhong?

Xu Ziling could feel his sincere concern, which gave birth to unbearable guilty conscience in his heart; shaking his head, he said, He should not have any problem defending himself; in fact, we separated on purpose, with me luring away the pursuing troops, while he is in charge of something else.

Liu Heita understood.

This moment, the girl that was just chatting with the four men outside came in to serve fragrant tea.

It was only now that Xu Ziling noticed that this girls profile was rather beautiful, and she exuded a delicate and pretty personality.

Liu Heita laughed and said, She is Tongtong; her flying blade skill is indeed not bad! But he did not introduced Xu Ziling to Tongtong.

Tongtong smiled as she shot a couple of curious glances toward Xu Ziling before withdrawing from the room.

Liu Heita was deep in thought for half a day before he finally sighed and said, Assassinating Ren Shaoming not only propelled your names to the sky, it has also changed the entire situation of the South. Lao Ge [old elder brother] is really proud of you.

Xu Ziling was afraid Liu Heita would repeat his invitation for them to join his organization, he busily changed the subject, This time Liu Dage came to Luoyang, I wonder if there is something big going on here?

After gazing deeply into Xu Zilings eyes, Liu Heita spoke heavily, This matter can be big or small. The fact is this is actually a trivial matter, only it is possible that this matter relates to the question of who can really unify the land under the heavens.

Xu Ziling was confused, What matter can have that kind of impact? he wondered.

Liu Heita did not answer; he asked back instead, This time you came to Luoyang, is it in preparation to go west to enter Guanzhong?

Xu Ziling understood that Liu Heita was a man with a very good moral standing, but he was definitely not a fool. On the contrary, he was astute and formidable, so it was absolutely not easy to deceive him.

By asking that question, it was tantamount to indirectly asking if he was going to dig out the Duke Yangs Treasure. If Xu Ziling responded evasively, it would be difficult to get Liu Heita to bare his soul to him later.

During the time where the warlords were setting up independent regimes, even between father and son, brothers and friends, there must be matters that have to be kept secret to some degree for the sake of their respective master.

Just like Li Jing a moment ago, who wanted to tell him something but hesitated; obviously he also had to have some reservations.

Smiling ruefully, Xu Ziling said, The fact is that we only know that the treasure is somewhere near Guannei [lit. inside the pass; I think this is a places name, but it could point to the general area inside the Great Wall]; other than that, we know nothing at all. Therefore, this time we are simply going to take our chances.

Liu Heitas honest and considerate, guileless dark-skinned face revealed a trace of sincere smile; he nodded and said, What Ziling told me, how could I not believe it? Its just that rumor has it that within the Duke Yang Treasure, other than rare treasure that Yang Su had plundered for many years, there are also tens of thousands of weapons and other items. To haul away these things out of the Li Clans territory, one must have considerable manpower and physical resources. If you think that I, Liu Heita, am trustworthy, I can give you full support, on the condition that each takes what he needs; you can go your way to become rich and powerful, and I go my way to vie for the world. We get the best of both worlds to everyones delight and satisfaction.

After a short pause, he went on, According to the information I have, the Duke Yang Treasure has seven layers altogether. Other than the first layer, which has no mechanism or booby-traps, every layer is more dangerous than the previous one. If you know that the man who designed the room to store this treasure was the Number One Master Craftsman in the world, Lu Miaozi, youd know that to acquire the treasure is not an easy matter at all. As far as I know, that Luocha woman only entered the first layer and promptly sounded out the difficulties and retreated to avoid defeat. Huh? Why do you look so weird?

Hearing the name Lu Miaozi, naturally Xu Ziling was severely shaken. He began to understand a little bit why when he showed the secret book on mechanism, it strongly reminded him that he would have to rely on this to enter the Duke Yang Treasure-trove.

But why did Lu Miaozi not teach them directly how to enter the Duke Yang Treasure, which he personally designed?

This is really puzzling.

Liu Heita continued, Yang Su and Lu Miaozi were close friends; the drawbridge Xing Jin Fu Qiao [xing star, jin river crossing (abbreviation for Tianjin), fu qiao floating/pontoon bridge] was his design. This mans talent in this area is extremely high; I dont think there is any second person to him at the present age.

Noticing Xu Ziling was frowning hard, he reached out to give him a friendly pat on the shoulder and said, You dont have to answer me quickly; you may talk to Kou Zhong first. Even if you decided not to cooperate, I, Liu Heita, cant possibly blame you. By the way, Zhuge Dewei is quite knowledgeable at mechanism and building constructions; certainly that would be very helpful in entering the treasure trove.

Xu Ziling had no choice but to nod in agreement.

Liu Heita stretched out and spoke in a relaxed manner, To be honest, I really did not want to say those things, because it made me look like those greedy people who covet the treasure. But taking the present conditions into account, I did not have any choice.

I understand, Xu Ziling said, Liu Dage need not be concerned about it.

Liu Heita gladly said, I have mentioned the two gentlemen to King of Xia, King of Xia is also highly appreciative toward the two of you, and he sincerely hopes to see you face to face.

The King of Xia was Dou Jiande.

Xu Ziling calmly replied, If there is any opportunity, we would also love to pay our respect. But still, just now Liu Dage mentioned that you have a business here that can be big but can be small as well; what is that all about?

Liu Heita replied in heavy voice, It has something to do with the Jade Annulus of the He Clan, which is equally famous with the Duke Yang Treasure!

※ ※ ※

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs!

Thanks foxs

Thks foxs.

That was a short fiction written more then 1200 years ago, but from that fiction Li and his wife and his sworn brother were known as fung chung sham xia and these lives on as folk legend and rewritten in many later stories.